Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : Do i need a 3g sim ?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > Do i need a 3g sim ? Bookmark topic
Page123>

10ten Posts: 118

Just got my upgrade from 02 its a nokia N70 its a really nice phone but anyways back to the question do i need a 3g sim because im unable to make video calls This message was posted from a Nokia
--
Posted: 2006-05-19 21:37:38
Edit : Quote

awave Posts: > 500

i'm not sure how it should work, but call up o2 and see whether they can just 3g activate your sim card. this may work, or it might automatically get setup after 48hrs lets say.

hope this helps!
--
Posted: 2006-05-19 21:57:16

s3tTz Posts: 2

Yes, you do need a 3G sim card to use the 3G features of your service provide (ie. video calling, broadband, etc).
--
Posted: 2006-05-30 15:47:12

gojnik064 Posts: 167

SIM
A subscriber identity module is a smart card which securely stores the key identifying a mobile phone service subscriber, as well as subscription information, preferences and text messages. The equivalent of a SIM in UMTS is a Universal Subscriber Identity Module (USIM).

USIM
A Universal Subscriber Identity Module is an application for UMTS mobile telephony running on a UICC smartcard which is inserted in a 3G mobile phone. It stores user subscriber information, authentication information and provides with storage space for text messages.

For authentication purposes, the USIM stores a long-term preshared secret key K, which is shared with the Authentication Center (AuC) in the network. The USIM also verifies a sequence number that must be within a range using a window mechanism to avoid replay attacks, and is in charge of generating the session keys CK and IK to be used in the confidentiality and integrity algorithms of the KASUMI block cipher in UMTS.
--
Posted: 2006-05-31 13:22:40

BBS Posts: 202

There is no need of changing SIM to get 3G features - such as video message - from a 3G hand set. I have a 3G handset (Z800i) with very old SIM card. I have not subscribed for 3G service but my service provide has informed me that video call is already activated though I have not tried it. Any way, I could use the hand set in non-GSM countries such as Japan while roaming beacuse of 3G service.
--
Posted: 2006-06-11 18:18:39

*Jojo* Posts: > 500

When 3g was about to be launched at my end . . . rumor has it that you will be needing a USIM in order to have the 3G feature of the fone work . . . when I got my N70 last March, I was surprised to learn that my old SIM will work with the N70 unit . . . and with the K600i and K608i too .. . no problemo !

@10 - Better yet ask O2 about this issue mate.
--
Posted: 2006-06-12 03:30:48

Sir-SonyEricsson-man Posts: > 500

Here in Norway you only have one simcard for 2G and 3G
--
Posted: 2006-06-12 03:58:01

lovewalrus Posts: 480

Friend of mind got a o2 about 1yr ago and recently bought a sim free N91-he had to buy a new sim (costin 14gbp) from an O2 store so he could use 3g services-so yes you need a new sim! Most other networks you don't need to (t-mobile have been supplyin 64k 3g compatibale sim's for a few years now to avoid this-even some older sims are still compatible). Hope this helps mate :o) This message was posted from a Nokia
--
Posted: 2006-06-12 04:12:32

3G SINGH Posts: 9

it depends what network you are on, in the uk:

02- need new sim
Voda- Can be done on existing
Orange- Need new sim
TMob- Need new sim
--
Posted: 2006-06-18 13:43:41

osamede Posts: 61

I am on 02 in the UK - you do need a 3G-enabled SIM to get on the company's 3G network - other wise you can have a 3G phone but you wont be doing anyhting at 3G speed, which is the point of a 3G phone, epscially web.

BUT do not need to pay extra for the 3G SIM and you do not have to change your plan.

Just call up 02 customer service - I did so and they said they would send me one, takes 3-7 days. Free.

When you get the new 3G sim it will have a different phone number. Not to worry - call up customer service at that point and they will transfer your old phone number to that new SIM.

[ This Message was edited by: osamede on 2006-06-24 21:14 ]
--
Posted: 2006-06-24 22:12:33
Page123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home