Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : W900i broken camera
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > W900i broken camera Bookmark topic
gip24 Posts: 2

I've had my W900i for a few months now and have found it to be a great phone. The only problem is it started to develop problems with the camera, which now won't work at all

It started by sometimes drawing green fuzzy lines on a black background occasionally when I started the camera. This became more frequent, and soon the green lines disappeared and the screen was all black. About one in every ten times the camera would work fine, but eventually it stopped working all together. Now, every single time I try to start the camera (from either the shortcut button or the menu) the screen is all black where the picture should be, although all the icons are there as normal (although the buttons do not respond if I press them to access the menus). The slider switch still turns the light on and off and I can hear it focusing as normal when I press the shutter switch half way down, but if I press it all the way the screen remains black and the phone crashes completely. Not even the off switch works, I have to take the battery out.

There are no other problems with the handset I have found, and it has been looked after well. It is a Vodafone branded handset that I bought brand new as an unwanted upgrade from a trusted Ebay seller (it worked perfectly and had never been opened when I got it), and it was unlocked by the code given directly from Vodafone (I now use it with an orange sim card). I have not flashed the phone or anything like that, it still has the Vodafone icons and everything. The warranty booklet says it is only valid with the original purchase receipt, which I do not have (would have been the Vodafone upgrade receipt I guess). Neither does the Ebay seller

I've trawled the net and can't find anyone with a similar problem - can anyone help? I don't know all that much about these things - would anyone know if it may be a software problem, or does it sound like something is broken in the hardware?

I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Gemma
--
Posted: 2006-06-05 13:32:56
Edit : Quote

goldenface Posts: > 500

Bad news!

If I was you I would send a letter off with the phone with the warranty explaining that it was an upgrade and so there was no receipt!!

Have you tried a Master Reset?

Or take it into a carphonewarehouse and see what they say. I have heard that as long as you have the warranty then they might send it away for you but I would enquire anyway.

--
Posted: 2006-06-05 14:50:21

gip24 Posts: 2

Hiya - thanks for getting back to me with advice so quickly!

I've not tried a master reset - I guess that could be the first thing to do. Will let you know how that goes....
I was thinking I may get a Vodafone pay as you go sim for £2, then go into the vodafone shop with my branded handset, masquerading as a genuine vodafone customer so they may be more willing to help me. Hmmm...tricky one! Master reset first I think, worry later
--
Posted: 2006-06-05 14:55:40

scotsboyuk Posts: > 500

There is of course the option of flashing the firmware yourself, but this may invalidate the warranty. If it is still under warranty then I think having it repaired/replaced under warranty is the way to go.
--
Posted: 2006-06-05 19:38:22

Sammy_boy Posts: > 500

Sounds more like a hardware problem to me, I suspect a problem either with the data ribbon going from the pcb part of the phone to the screen part, or (if it's a different one, never had one of these let alone taken it apart!) one that goes from the camera unit to the phone's pcb.

It may just need a new data ribbon, but as the phone's under warranty still I'd get it sent off and let the professionals do it for you for free.
--
Posted: 2006-06-05 19:46:56

goldenface Posts: > 500

Let us know how you got on anyway

Good luck!
--
Posted: 2006-06-06 09:16:18

Residentevil Posts: > 500

There were also cases, when that connection to the camera module would come loose. If you got it still under warranty bring it in or if not and you are brave enough open up that puppy.
--
Posted: 2006-07-04 01:31:59

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home