Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : Unlocking a K600i
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > Unlocking a K600i Bookmark topic
will-martin Posts: 13

my friend bought a branded and locked k600i a while back. the phone is a vodafone but he wanted to get it unlocked as he is on a network that doesnt have 3g.

he got it unlocked but the phone doesnt work properly. im not sure of the full story but i dont think he can get calls or make them because of the difference in the phone (3g) and his sim not being 3g.

does anyone know what the deal is with this and if it is at all possible to change this?

my other friend has a N90 on the same network which is also a 3g phone. how is this possible?

any ideas on how to solve this?
--
Posted: 2006-06-06 15:39:01
Edit : Quote

BobaFett Posts: > 500

he should do the right settings in k6, to access the vodalive whatever. its the same with k608, the "3" version of k6, u can access the 3trailer etc only with the "3-hutchinson" fw, NOT with the original se, then u can browse only external sites.
--
Posted: 2006-06-06 16:19:01

sorry but i dont quite understand how that would help him turn his phone from 3g to 2.5g so he can make and recieve calls

[ This Message was edited by: will-martin on 2006-06-06 15:25 ]
--
Posted: 2006-06-06 16:20:35

BobaFett Posts: > 500

got a bit confused. u mean the v600, right? thats the vodafone version...
--
Posted: 2006-06-06 16:54:03

awave Posts: > 500

he needs a 3g activated sim card for the network, as far as i know vodafone have only every sold v600i and not the k600i so yes boba it should be.

as i said in the other post before masseur pointed me here, you may need an update of a sim card, because older sim cards worked at a different voltage, right everyone?? - and this could cause the phone to not work. you switch between 2.5g and 3g under menu-->settings-->connectivity(right hand tab)-->mobile networks-->gsm/3g networks-->the select gsm+3g for 3g/2.5g and gsm only for 2.5g only.

i decided not to get my v600i unlocked because it would cost too much to be worth it, and i don't use it that much for text/calls etc anyway. so i will wait untill the warranty up so i can do it myself.

also, which network be this network your friend is on?!? t-mobile, o2, orange, virgin mobile?!?

anyway hope i have helped,
awave
--
Posted: 2006-06-06 17:18:55

he is on meteor. i live in ireland so you prob havent heard of them.

the sim is only about a year old so its not that old.
--
Posted: 2006-06-06 17:26:16

nope ok then - erm....i've just looked at their website, and no i hadn't heard of them beforehand!, they do not have UMTS 3g, they are using EDGE technology (a 3g part), but the v600i is a UMTS 3g phone, and not EDGE, so he will not be able to use the 3g feature of the phone. a question is, does the phone still work with the vodafone sim card in it? if not then the phone's bust. i'd try just cleaning the sim card, restarting the phone and then trying to call again. otherwise i do not know what to do.

hope i've helped
awave
--
Posted: 2006-06-06 17:42:43

ya he doesnt want to use the 3g features of the phone which i know is a waste. he just wants the phone to be able to make and get calls. if he follows your instructions of changing the phone to 2.5g by going through the menu etc will the phone work properly?
--
Posted: 2006-06-06 18:21:32

I do not know to be honest, but it is more likely - it will also save tremendusly on battery life, seeing as it will be constantly trying to connect to a 3g network, which it won't be able to if there isn't one.

awave
--
Posted: 2006-06-06 18:26:50

ya thanks ill pass on the info to him.

if anyone else has an idea of how to fix his probelm then please post a reply

cheers
--
Posted: 2006-06-06 19:06:58

New Topic   Reply