Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : Wcdma is the World's Most Popular 3G Technology
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > Wcdma is the World's Most Popular 3G Technology Bookmark topic
Page12>

goldenface Posts: > 500

WCDMA is the World's Most Popular 3G Technology

US : As worldwide subscriptions to 3G networks exceed 100 million, industry association The UMTS Forum has confirmed that WCDMA is the world's most popular 3G technology by a factor that is fast approaching three to one.

According to figures from mobile market information provider Wireless Intelligence and UMTS Forum member sources, the 100 million subscriber milestone represents almost 75 million UMTS/WCDMA customers and more than 25 million CDMA2000 1x EV-DO customers. This ratio - rapidly approaching 3:1 between the two standardised 3G technologies - contrasts with the picture just eight months ago. In September 2005 the ratio between WCDMA and EV-DO subscriptions stood at just 2:1.

In addition, WCDMA's popularity with Western European customers has accelerated rapidly in recent months. As Wirelesss Intelligence indicates in its newly-published bulletin Western Europe net additions Q1 2006: 3G springs to life, uptake of WCDMA has now reached a clear 'tipping point'. In the first quarter of the year, WCMDA represented no less than 95% of total net subscriber additions (WCDMA+GSM) in Europe.

"We're seeing a profound change in dynamics between WCDMA and GSM in the net additions picture", notes UMTS Forum Chairman Jean-Pierre Bienaimé. "During 2005, the contributions of GSM and WCDMA to total net subscriber additions in Europe were roughly equal. Today consumers don't need so much encouragement to pick 3G/UMTS over GSM: they're finding out for themselves that third generation is the only choice to meet their lifestyle needs."

Bienaimé cited the attractiveness of WCDMA terminals and growing awareness of 3G multimedia services as key factors driving rapid migration to 3G/UMTS by European mobile subscribers. "There's a choice of well over 300 WCDMA terminals worldwide - and current models are scoring strongly on battery life, size, weight and desirability. We're also seeing must-have services like mobile TV encouraging European consumers to opt for 3G/UMTS when they make their mobile purchasing decision."

"The indications are that this might just be a very good year for next generation in Western Europe", comments Wireless Intelligence Director Martin Garner. "The shift from GSM to WCDMA in the net additions picture has been particularly remarkable. Although WCDMA was always going to begin taking a greater share of the market during 2006, a jump of this significance has come two or three quarters earlier than expected."

As of May 2006, there were more than 110 WCDMA networks operational in 48 countries. In addition there were 40 operators providing both EDGE and WCDMA coverage in 27 countries worldwide. Within Europe, 28 operators providing complementary EDGE/WCDMA coverage in 18 countries. The UMTS Forum predicts that global 3G/UMTS subscriptions will reach 100 million during the fourth quarter of this calendar year. Moreover, the second phase of 3G/UMTS is now progressing with more than 25 HSDPA networks deployed in May 2006 - enabling 3G customers to experience the full capabilities of mobile broadband.

Figures provided by Wireless Intelligence also indicate that Western Europe represents just over half of the world's total WCDMA subscribers. The region currently holds 50.4% of the global WCDMA subscriber base, with Asia Pacific contributing 47.8%. The remainder - less than 2% - is contributed by subscribers in the Middle East, Eastern Europe, USA/Canada and Africa.

--
Posted: 2006-06-19 10:46:54
Edit : Quote

Super G Posts: > 500

Which doesnt mean it *is* popular
--
Posted: 2006-06-19 12:07:28

NTTDocomo announced today that it has more 3G than 2G customers. I don't think Europe will be that far behind because 3G isn't high-endish like it used to be, and with phones like the K610i/im its gonna become more popular.

You can proabably do without it but its like going back to dial-up internet on your PC. You just get used to its speed.
--
Posted: 2006-06-19 15:09:23

shaliron Posts: > 500

Well TBH I don't think that it means that it is 'popular' The masses just accept what is fed to them. It's all the same to them. All they think of it as is video calling, which is an effective gimmick for mast people even though they don't use it much.
--
Posted: 2006-06-20 05:38:28

@shaliron.

Thats not what it is saying. The article is saying that one of 3G is more widely used that another.
--
Posted: 2006-06-20 10:43:18

Residentevil Posts: > 500

The WCDMA 1900 tech here in the US is not really compatible with the rest of the world, that runs WCDMA 2100.
--
Posted: 2006-06-24 06:34:24

carkitter Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2006-06-20 05:38:28, shaliron wrote:
Well TBH I don't think that it means that it is 'popular' The masses just accept what is fed to them. It's all the same to them. All they think of it as is video calling, which is an effective gimmick for most people even though they don't use it much.

Exactly right!

My ex-wife told me of her new phone yesterday. I asked "What brand is it?"
She replied "It's a 3G." That sums up most mobile phone users in NZ I'm afraid.

[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2006-06-25 08:11 ]
--
Posted: 2006-06-25 09:09:15

Residentevil Posts: > 500

So 3G is very popular in NZ?
--
Posted: 2006-06-27 06:30:33

I think people are less interested in how it works and more interested in what it does. This is how think I they went wrong with pushing 3G early on.
--
Posted: 2006-06-27 14:19:59

Geoneil Posts: 13

I think 3G in the UK at least was hampered by the bad reputation 3 got early on for quality of service and reliability. Even now the network 3 is often referred to as 3G although the issues they had have mostly sorted
--
Posted: 2006-07-01 08:17:00
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home