Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : 3G roaming in Japan
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > 3G roaming in Japan Bookmark topic
Page12>

Aivar Posts: > 500

As I have read (also from Esato) Japanese 3G operators (at least one of them) are using a bit different 3G (WCDMA) system than it is used in the ohter parts in the world.

My home operator says that NTT DoCoMo has an eariler version of WCDMA. This means that not all 3G phones are capable of working in Japan. But there are some exceptions. For example SE K600, SE W900, Nokia 6280 and some other phones work in NTT DoCoMo 3G network.

I don't know whether it is valid also for Vodafone K.K. 3G network, beacause my home operator has roaming agreement with NTT DoCoMo only.

My question: have you been recently in Japan and have you used roaming with your "ordinary" 3G mobile phone? Which phone did you have? Did you use network of NTT DoCoMo or Vodafone K.K? What do you say about 3G coverage in Japan?

--
Posted: 2006-06-28 11:35:59
Edit : Quote

BobaFett Posts: > 500

Check also this www.gsmworld.com This message was posted from a Z1010
--
Posted: 2006-06-28 12:02:53

only me Posts: 79

I took a Motorola 3G brick to Japan with me last time I visited (C975) and this worked fine, just popped my orange sim in it, can't remember which networks it picked up but it definitely picked up 2 or more.
--
Posted: 2006-06-28 12:37:08

goldenface Posts: > 500

I have posted some info on this. here.

Hope it helps
--
Posted: 2006-06-28 12:40:50

Aivar Posts: > 500

Thank you for the replies.

@ Goldenface,
actually your topic inspired me to write this topic It seems that in Japan NTT DoCoMo is the only network, where you can't use all 3G (WCDMA) phones. But it is possible to use some of our "ordinary" 3G phones.

@ BobaFett,
I know this site http://www.gsmworld.com, but thank you for the reminder.

I just would like to know some roaming experiences in Japan.

[ This Message was edited by: Aivar on 2006-06-28 13:14 ]
--
Posted: 2006-06-28 13:15:22

wapt Posts: > 500

@Aivar, The "ordinary" 3G phones work on Vodafone KK (J-phone). If you operator has agreement only with NTT DoCoMo, then you have to find a phone called FOMA in Japan. This message was posted from a WAP device
--
Posted: 2006-06-28 13:39:34

There are a few members who have visited or do visit Japan on a regular basis.

I'm sure if they see this thread they will let you know what the situation is.
--
Posted: 2006-06-28 14:05:33

Gaijinsan Posts: 34

@Aivar, I have just come back from a trip to Japan.
I took my K600i with me and got perfect reception with NTT DoCoMo 3G network, all functions worked including GPRS over the network. (I don't want to look at my next bill). My phone could also pick up the Vodafone network but I couldn't connect because my home network (Orange) has no roaming agreement, but this did not matter because I never lost the signal from NTT. I'm going again soon and I'm taking my new K800i but I don't see any problems.
Anyway to sum up. K600i can receive 2 networks NTT and Vodafone.
Hope this answers your questions.
--
Posted: 2006-07-31 01:49:14

@Gaijinsan

Hi, Thanks for that info.

Just to clarify, you are currently with Orange UK 3G and you could use your handset to make calls and browse the web on NTTDoCoMo.

V Good
--
Posted: 2006-07-31 09:33:57

scotsboyuk Posts: > 500

DoCoMo were using a different form of WCDMA than the standard European version, but I believe they were (and obviously have) modified their network to make it compatible with standard WCDMA.

Vodafone K.K. uses the same WCDMA as is used in Europe and there should be no problems using a European WCDMA handset on the K.K. network (provided one's home network has a roaming agreement).

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2006-08-08 19:38 ]
--
Posted: 2006-07-31 15:08:35
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home