Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : W300i ring tone problem
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > W300i ring tone problem Bookmark topic
power_trip18 Posts: 1

Hi.
I just bought a W300i phone and it is really good except for one problem. I can't figure out how to make the Mp3 files that were already include with the phone to be my ringtone. I click use as and rintones and a couple of other uses show up but I can't use them becasue it says that it cannot set this file as a ring tone. I didn't think that this was a rpoblem at first until I went on their website and saw that you could download ringtones for your phone and they were Mp3 files. I don't know if I have to update it or something or if I have to bring back to the store. My cell phone carrier is Rogers wirless if that helps. If you have any ideas on why it is doing this it would be great if you could let me know. Thank you.
--
Posted: 2006-08-16 01:07:26
Edit : Quote

trulyhealthy Posts: 1

Rogers Wireless and Fido Mobility restricts the ability to use MP3 music as ring tones. Unless you go to their website thru your phone, paying $0.03 per Kb, and pay and download for their ring tones, with a total cost of around $5.00 per ring tone. This restriction is set intentionally so you pay them money for otherwise free ring tones.

I have the Z710i with the same issue, I contacted Sony Support and this is their answer:

"A recent change has occurred with MP3 restrictions on phones sold through Rogers Wireless and Fido Mobility. This change restricts the ability to use MP3 music as ring tones. This restriction is imbedded into the phone and cannot be changed in the software either manually or through a Software Update. Please note that this change is not specific only to Sony Ericsson phones, but to every brand of phone that Rogers and Fido sells commencing July 2006. If you are unhappy with this restriction, please contact your dealer where the phone was purchased to discuss this matter."

I emailed Fido (now owned by Rogers) and they haven't responded. Don't bother calling, I already did and their customer support don't know the answer. You should contact Rogers with an email along the following lines:

---
I am very unhappy that Rogers Wireless and Fido Mobility restricts the ability to use MP3 music as ring tones. I was told by you, before I made the decision to buy my new phone, that I could use MP3 as ring tones.

I already call your office by phone but the person who answered didn't know much, and after 25 minutes of her asking your technical team, she finalize telling me that I could only use MP3 if I pay for them thru your website, which is not what I was told by you at the beginning. I should be able to use any MP3 as ring tone.

Please review this issue and then contact me by email to either:
- let me know how to set MP3 as ring tones, or
- to tell me that it can't be done (and that you are not going to charge me the internet access charges that I incurred when I downloaded the free ring tones from the Sony website which I can't use,) and that you will advise everyone that they can only use MP3 as ring tones downloaded from your website.
---

Tell your friends using Rogers Wireless and Fido Mobility about this issue. As it is the new wave for carriers to charge as much as possible for what is was free a few weeks ago.

A.

--
Posted: 2007-01-19 21:45:52

masseur Posts: > 500

this is nothing new, its been around for at least 18 months when the K800 come out

indeed we have had a guide here to get around the problem for almost as long

Complete guide for having mp3 ringtones on branded phones
--
Posted: 2007-01-19 21:50:10

costa993 Posts: 2

What if you unlock the rogers branded w300 then will you be able to download ringtones for free?
--
Posted: 2007-02-16 03:42:41

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home