Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : Thinking about 3G, what do I need to know?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > Thinking about 3G, what do I need to know? Bookmark topic
Eric's Son Posts: 261

So after all this time I'm now considering a 3G handset for my next phone. I am currently with Orange (2.5G) and I'm thinking of changing soon.

1. Which is the best 3G operator?

2. Which Network has the lergest 3G coverage?

3. Which network has the best 3G pricing?Who is cheapest?

4. Which network has the best tarrifs for data etc.? Unlimited Data?

5. Are you satisfied with the range of services from your 3G provider?

6. Do '3' still have their walled garden or allow you to browse the internet unrestricted?

7. What's the next thing coming after 3G and are we anywhere near it?

Please post any other issues you think are inmportant to anyone considering this switch from 2.5G over to 3G.

Thank you

Eric's Son
--
Posted: 2006-09-05 14:26:32
Edit : Quote

goldenface Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2006-09-05 14:26:32, Eric's Son wrote:
So after all this time I'm now considering a 3G handset for my next phone.

I am currently with Orange (2.5G) and I'm thinking of changing soon.

1. Which is the best 3G operator? -

I would rate Orange or T-mobile as the best.

2. Which Network has the lergest 3G coverage? -

hard to say.

3. Which network has the best 3G pricing? Who is cheapest? -

I don't think you pay extra for 3G as most operators charge by the amount of data you get through. In that case what you should be asking is who has the best / cheapest data plans, as it has been proven that because 3G makes it easier to download stuff onto your phone you will - inevitably - spend more money on data.

t-mobiles web&walk tariffs are good. Check them out.

5. Are you satisfied with the range of services from your 3G provider? -

I don't really take advantage of the services my operator provides it they do have any.

6. Do '3' still have their walled garden or allow you to browse the internet unrestricted?

Walled Garden

7. What's the next thing coming after 3G and are we anywhere near it? -

Probably MobileTV which won't be 3G dependant.

Please post any other issues you think are inmportant to anyone considering this switch from 2.5G over to 3G.

Thank you

Eric's Son

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2006-09-05 13:46 ]
--
Posted: 2006-09-05 14:45:01

BobaFett Posts: > 500

Visit www.gsmworld.com for many useful infos

This message was posted from a K610i
--
Posted: 2006-09-05 15:07:31

darrengf Posts: > 500

No network is currenlty cheap on 3g. However i would check with Orange if they have coverage in your local area.

You use the phone more at you home / Place of work so i normaly go on this.

any other questions please ask

Hope this helps

--
Posted: 2006-09-05 15:22:34

Does anyone how good O2's 3G compares to anyone elses? Apart from the £3 per Mb which is really bad!
--
Posted: 2006-09-05 16:01:56

babianfarthez Posts: 34

Well im on 3 and after being very unsure at first after hearing the many bad reports about customer service, i must say that im more happy with their service. Good coverage in my area and everyone knows that they have very competitive pricing structures.

Also the 'walled garden' has vanished, viewing 3's services are free and you pay out of your gprs allowance for external sites. Hope this helps.
--
Posted: 2006-09-05 16:13:49

scotsboyuk Posts: > 500

Quote:
1. Which is the best 3G operator?

All the newtorks offer similar 3G services although there are no doubt some differences. I currently use O2's 3G service and they don't seem to have a television service, whereas Vodafone do. It might be worthwhile taking a look at each network's website to see which 3G services they currently offer.

Quote:
2. Which Network has the lergest 3G coverage?

I think 3 has the most extensive 3G coverage at the moment, but all the newtorks will probably cover the major towns and cities. You might be best checking each network's coverage maps to make sure that they offer 3G in your area.

Quote:
3. Which network has the best 3G pricing?Who is cheapest?

I think they are all probably similar. However, you may find that one network offers a deal that is better suited to you than anothe rnetwork. Again you could look at their websites and compare their tariffs.

Quote:

At the moment T-Mobile has a good data offer with their Web n' Walk plan. Vodafone aren't terribly cheap when it comes to data if memory serves me correctly. Having said that, I don't think 3, O2 or Orange are much better.

I'm too sure what 3's current status is, but you might not be able to access all wbsites or use your handset as amodem unless you use a certain plan.

Quote:
5. Are you satisfied with the range of services from your 3G provider?

This really depends upon what you will be using 3G for. If you simply want 3G to make the odd video call or download the odd song then they are all probably going to be able to offer you a good service. However, as I said before, different networks might have slightly different services, whichmay or may not be of use to you.

I wouldn't mind a teelvision service from O2, but I think they are going to be focusing on a broadcast service rather than a streaming service as is available from Orange and Vodafone.

Quote:

They were offering limited access to certain non-3 content the last time I checked. I think they mighthave an option for full internet access and/or modem data use, but you should check their website to make sure.

Quote:
7. What's the next thing coming after 3G and are we anywhere near it?

That would be 4G, which might include WiMax althought hat might be launched as a seperate standard. I wouldn't bother waiting for 4G to launch as it is likely still a good few years away.

HSDPA is being launched soon (in fact Vodafone already have HSDPA enabled data cards so I imagine handsets aren't too far off).

You could always purchase a ahndset that supports Wi-Fi, which would give you an additional data option.

Quote:

Look for a handset that has a good battery life, and which offers you the features you want most. Make sure that there is 3G coverage in the areas you will visit most.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2006-09-05 18:03 ]
--
Posted: 2006-09-05 19:03:05

Thanks guys for the replies!!!
--
Posted: 2006-09-06 09:22:04

JK Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2006-09-05 16:01:56, Eric's Son wrote:
Does anyone how good O2's 3G compares to anyone elses? Apart from the £3 per Mb which is really bad!

What!!!!

Thats bloody expensive!!!
What do they charge for HSDPA rates??

We pay 0.2 pounds MB, but our cheapest is mmmmmm 0.05 pounds a MB on Virgin Mobile!

--
Posted: 2006-09-06 09:40:24

Yeah O2 don't have any specific 3G tarrifs, they just charge by the Mb, and although you are able to get a 'bolt on' so save a little, they are still well expensive!!!

O2 Have done all the hard work getting a massive cut of the 2.5G market share and to me it appears like they aren't too bothered to get the 3G business, not sure why?

Do anyone have any inside information on what O2 are playing at? Have they got something up their sleeve? If they have they're waiting til very last minute?!?!?!

--
Posted: 2006-09-06 09:44:26

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home