Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : Orange 3g sim
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > Orange 3g sim Bookmark topic
Page12>

thelight Posts: 70

I previously had a k750i when I joined Orange about 3 months ago, so my sim is a 2.5g one. Ive recently bought a k800i 3g phone, so obviously wish to use the services, so I need a 3g sim.

When I initially called Orange, the guy told me that I wouldnt need a new sim, and new wap settings would be enough to get 3g working, he was wrong. When I phoned up again I was told that unless you got a new contract which included a 3g phone, I would never be able to get a 3g sim to replace my 3g one. I then asked a friend who works in an orange call centre, and he told me he would have expected Orange to replace my 2.5g sim for a 3g one for free, as they'd likely get more money from me in the long run using 3g services like video calling.

I did a quick google and could only come up with someone having a similar problem, with no solution. It was mentioned though that if you are in the same situation on o2, you pay £15 and they give you a 3g sim card.

So, is it possible for me to obtain a 3g sim card from Orange without having to start a new contract?
--
Posted: 2006-11-12 17:57:31
Edit : Quote

Rajjy Posts: 112

If all you have done is upgrade phones, whilst sticking with Orange, then yes they should've given you a 3G sim card to use in your 3G phone. If not, I don't see why they should.
--
Posted: 2006-11-12 18:00:18

I bought my new phone sim free and put the 2.5g sim from my current phone into it, so I havnt technically upgraded. I wasnt asking them to give me a free sim, just the opportunity to use 3g services, I dont mind paying to replace my 2.5g sim, as happens with o2, just didnt appear to be an option with Orange.
--
Posted: 2006-11-12 18:28:52

darrengf Posts: > 500

If you go down to your local Orange shop they sell the 3g sms for £5.

On occasions they ask you to register them there sometimes.

If you do explain to them that you would like to keep your old number and just transfer to a 3g sims.

If they let you take the sims away just ring customer care on 450, explain to them that you have a 3g sim andwant to trasfer your number over to this one.

Some shops tell you that the sims already have a phone no attached to them, This is utter crap, Trust me they dont.

i hope thid helps.

You should have no probs tho

--
Posted: 2006-11-12 19:12:31

I take it this applies to contract as well as payg?
--
Posted: 2006-11-12 19:21:43

wapchimp Posts: > 500

Nope. The only way to use 3g is to offically upgrade to a 3g phone with orange. U can then use 3g services and use that sim in what ever phone u want.

This message was posted from a W850i
--
Posted: 2006-11-12 20:12:37

imanuk Posts: 241

my old 2.5g sim from my 2+yr old contract with orange worked fine for video calling on my p990 (a 3g service) so I can't see why it wont work...

Maybe try the old "i want my pac code" line that usually helps grab some attention then u can expalin why u want to leave, there retentions have started to care these days.

or if you want a new sim maybe try the classic "i lost my sim can I have another....oh and while ur at it make it a 3g one?"

Alternativly get yourself on three they have more 3g coverage anyway - and where they dont have coverage they use orange signal now anyhow!
--
Posted: 2006-11-12 20:28:20

darrengf Posts: > 500

@imanuk
What phone did you get 2 years ago on contract with this sim.
Orange will only issue a 3g sim with 3g phone.
If you got a 3g sim on a non 3g phone then you was a mega luck person.

@thelight
No you can only purchase a £3g sim card on PAYG.
If you are on orange and didnt purchase the 3g from them then Orange will not send you a new sim card.

Orange policy is that the Sim card is assigined to the phone purchase.
So if you buy 2.5g phone you get a 2.5g sim. Thats it.

If you upgrade the phone with Orange to a 3g sim card, then you will get a new sim card.

Hope this makes it cleaer.
--
Posted: 2006-11-12 20:42:34

it does, thanks, I wont bother making the trip to the Orange shop to ask in their. Why would they do this though? Surely they would want as many users as possible to have the opportunity to pay for 3g? Looks like i'll just have to wait another 9 months till upgrade time.
--
Posted: 2006-11-12 22:10:53

lovewalrus Posts: 480

I'm really suprised they can't just activate 3G on your account-they must be givin out really old SIM cards and not the 64k one's most other networks have for last few years to avoid this problem!

This message was posted from a K800i
--
Posted: 2006-11-14 09:12:20
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home