Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : Will P990i Work In Canada?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > Will P990i Work In Canada? Bookmark topic
Wirral Bagpuss Posts: 246

I am based in the UK. I am about to book a holiday to Canada, should be good as i have family over there i never knew i had!!! Anyhow i am on the verge of buying a P990i. Will it work in Canada/USA?
--
Posted: 2006-12-03 15:16:33
Edit : Quote

drgopoos Posts: 307

i too would like to know about that,,, i am moving to toronto in a months time....

what i think is that it should work but in certain places especailly rural areas where there is only 850mhz coverage it will not

please canadian s please respond
--
Posted: 2006-12-03 17:29:30

Residentevil Posts: > 500

You can check provider coverage on their websites. See here for Canadian coverage of tmobile.
http://www.t-mobile.com/inter[....]ap&cc=CA&net=00&opts=0&cid=190
They use the 1900 band.
More info here.
http://www.canadiancontent.net/mobile/gsm_technology.php

[ This Message was edited by: Residentevil on 2006-12-03 18:00 ]
--
Posted: 2006-12-03 18:57:43

DolbE Posts: 8

the p990i is quadband so it should work just about anywhere that has mobiles
--
Posted: 2006-12-03 19:32:01

darrengf Posts: > 500

The P990 is not Quad Band phone.

The P990 Is a Tri Band phone + UTMS
900/1800/1900 Mhz (GSM) and 2100 UTMS

A Quad band phone means you also have the 850mhz GSM network too.

Any way to answer your question

Are you going to take your uk sim card with you, If so what network and is it contract / PAYG.

However Canada has 3 GSM networks which you will be able to use the P990 on.

ICE wireless this works on the GSM 1900 mhz band (This is a new network)

Microcell Telecommunications 1900mhz band

Roger Wireless 850 / 1900 mhz band

** T-Mobile is a USA network which bounces on the networks named.

Coverage map or Canada.

If you need any more then please ask.

@Wirral Bagpuss You also mentioned USA, USA has a many GSM little networks and a couple of large networks, if you need to know these then again please let me know.

Thanks

[ This Message was edited by: darrengf on 2006-12-03 19:14 ]
--
Posted: 2006-12-03 20:07:15

Wirral Bagpuss Posts: 246

Thanks for your replies !!! I plan on visiting Toronto, hopefully Montreal, Ottowa, Quebec and also Niagra Falls and if i am very lucky nip across the border to NYC !!! I would take my UK Sim card with me. Plan to go next summer all being well
--
Posted: 2006-12-04 00:52:11

Aivar Posts: > 500

I really hope that SE will soon make its first quad-band GSM + 3G mobile phone. Then SE fans don't have to bother their head with the question whether their phone works everywhere or not.

It's quite strange that SE has not made such a world phone already. For example Nokia has several such kinds of phones. What is SE waiting for?

[ This Message was edited by: Aivar on 2006-12-04 11:25 ]
--
Posted: 2006-12-04 12:24:45

dkfdnls2 Posts: 2

The 4th band on the quad band phones is mostly used for data in the US and Canada for people using GSM and if you are roaming, it isn't something you need to worry about because some networks won't let you roam on GPRS...it's also very expensive. If you want to save money on calls...and I know this thread is pretty old...when you are in Canada go and pick up a Fido prepaid card. If you charge it with $30 you pay $0.15 per minute but there is no GPRS, just voice. If you are roaming, then of course check with your operator although I think most foreign phones will roam on Roger's wireless. Keep in mind that in Canada (probably US) you are charged for outgoing and incoming calls. I find it is harder to roam in the US because they don't have large enough GSM networks to support roaming (I was in Seattle with my SIM from Indonesia and T-Mobile wouldn't connect), however, again this is an issue with your provider and what roaming agreements are in place.

As for the phone...SE auto-connects to the available provider and correct bandwidth, so no need to worry. I think only Samsung phones need to have the bandwidth manually configured.

Also don't forget to pay your bill before you go...I don't know about Europe, but out here providers cut off roaming when you get past the due date.
--
Posted: 2006-12-19 11:06:09

franz_jp Posts: 3

sorry... I Want to ask..
how to add languange (English Language) in My P990???

are there anybody can give me the links to donwload language pack...
because i can't download languange pack in sonyericsson.com cause my phone firmware doesn't macth

my Phone Firmware is :
Phone : CXC162037 R4B001
Organizer : CXC162072 R1A41
CDA : 162007/5 R1A51

and... where does my firmware came from? (Worlwide/China/Singapore/ or other else?)

Thanks...
--
Posted: 2007-01-13 09:59:13

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home