Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Technical : How I fixed my k800i joystick - Step-by-step with pics
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Technical > How I fixed my k800i joystick - Step-by-step with pics Bookmark topic
Page12345678>

conzepth Posts: 15

I've had my phone for quite some time now, about 9 months, and guess what, the joystick started to behave just like my old t630 and the k750. I decided to try to fix it on my own, since I had nothing better to do.

What you need:

A small scissor.
A soft cloth to remove dust.
About 2 minutes of spare time.

-----------------------
NO GUARANTEES - USE CAUTION, AND REMOVE YOUR BATTERY FIRST!
-----------------------

STEP 1:

Place the tip of one of the scissor blades as shown on this image, between the black plastic and the top of your joystick.

STEP 2:

Move the other side of the scissor towards the bottom part of your phone, while still making sure that the tip of the scissor blade is between the black plastic and the top of the joystick. Do it slowly so you don't break something else inside your phone.

*CLICK*

STEP 3:

Remove the black plastic covering your joystick, then continue by removing the rubber(?)sealing along with the other buttons.. like this:

If you have problems removing the keys, just try pushing them from side to side. Shouldn't be too hard, though. Now is a good time to remove the dust from your joystick and in between the other keys. Surprisingly, I found very little dust there, so I continued my journey inside the k800i..

STEP 4:

This is what you're currently looking at

Notice the 4 "pins" on all four sides of your joystick. This is where we're gonna use our beloved scissor once again. What we're gonna do, is to push all four "pins" towards the joystick itself, in other words, giving the joystick a smaller place to move. Just stick the tip of one of the scissorblades down there and press against the joystick. I used a little force, but I was also pretty cautious. Do this on all four sides. You're not supposed to make them move a million miles, just a little bit.

STEP 5:

Allright, back to assembling this baby together. It's as easy as reversing the steps from 1-4.
Put the rubberthingie with all the small buttons and the joystick itself back in place. Push the joystick down a little (as if you we're clicking the joystick in). Click all the small buttons in place. This was actually the thing that took me the longest time, but it shouldn't be TOO hard. Then finally, put the middle black plastic cover back into place (notice the edges) and just.. press the keys together, to make sure they are all in place.

Put your battery back in, boot up your phone, and voila, your joystick is as good as new!

HOWEVER, if it still doesn't work perfectly, just repeat this process. I did it 3 times before I was happy with the result.

Hope this will help all you other guys having problems with your joysticks.. Who knows, maybe it works on other SE-models aswell.

--
conzepth

[ This Message was edited by: conzepth on 2007-03-20 13:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: conzepth on 2007-03-20 13:28 ]
--
Posted: 2007-03-20 14:22:11
Edit : Quote

marktang Posts: 196

i wont be doing that. u can scratch your phone so easily like that and it looks like u already did.
--
Posted: 2007-03-20 16:31:00

phoenyx Posts: 21

Not a good idea
--
Posted: 2007-03-20 17:07:54

gaming_guy Posts: > 500

On 2007-03-20 16:31:00, marktang wrote:
i wont be doing that. u can scratch your phone so easily like that and it looks like u already did.

and probably bugg*r the joystick up if your not careful
--
Posted: 2007-03-20 18:17:11

Tehy03 Posts: 386

Nice guide! but don't do this if you don't know what you are doing
--
Posted: 2007-03-20 18:19:00

On 2007-03-20 16:31:00, marktang wrote:

Up to you. It worked for me, the joystick is just as good as it was when the phone was brand new. I wasn't even close to scratch up my phone, the scratches you see are all old ones.. You're not tearing anything apart either, so reassembly isn't some sort of magic. :)
But I guess it depends on whether or not you look at your phone as a piece of jewelry, or something you have in your pocket all day long which eventually gets scratched up. I can live with a scratchy phone as long as it works the way it is supposed to. :)
--
Posted: 2007-03-20 18:37:18

marktang Posts: 196

yeah i can tell u like scratchy phones. look at your keypad man its disgusting.
--
Posted: 2007-03-20 18:42:47

On 2007-03-20 18:42:47, marktang wrote:
yeah i can tell u like scratchy phones. look at your keypad man its disgusting.

Heard about wear and tear, buddy? I have free sms and mms, and I've sent about 7000++ in the last months, and I can tell you this, the keys looks like that after a short, short period of time. It took me no more than a month before they started to look like that.. so yeah, I guess I don't mind scratchy phones as long as they work. Would you rather like a good looking phone which can't be controlled via the joystick, then that's up to you. :)

This tip works, and I'm pretty sure someone will confirm this pretty quick.
--
Posted: 2007-03-20 18:54:31

daviep Posts: > 500

nice guide.saves totally disasembling the phone.
tho some people sound as if they would rather have a sticking joystick than give your method a try.
--
Posted: 2007-03-20 19:07:05

peanut Posts: > 500

Interesting guide.

But I do have to say that looks like a very mistreated phone. Free MMS or not.

I too have unlimited SMS, MMS and 3G but I couldn't let my phone get in that state. I just feel when you put it on a bar, coffee table the state it's in says something about the person you are.

but I'm that retentive lol

[ This Message was edited by: peanut on 2007-03-20 23:06 ]
--
Posted: 2007-03-21 00:02:58
Page12345678>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home