Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : 3G for Dummies
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > 3G for Dummies Bookmark topic
Page12>

Hlcn Twst Posts: > 500

I'm obviously a dummy, as even Wikipedia's explanation of 3G is incomprehensible to me

I know what it is in principle - the new generation of mobile internet after EDGE (2.5G).

What I don't understand are the different frequencies, protocols, etc. in use around the world. AFAIK, Cingular (USA) is expanding its existing 850/1900 MHz network to run HSDPA. T-Mobile (USA) bought up 1700 and 2000 MHz spectrum for its 3G, whatever protocol they choose to implement. This much I have gleaned from this article. Looking at the mobile phones sold outside the USA, it appears to me that the rest of the world uses 2100 MHz WCDMA. Do I have this correct so far?

What are HSDPA, WCDMA, etc.? What is UMTS? And what would a true "world" 3G phone need other than being quad-band (for voice) + EDGE? (The HTC Hermes is I believe truly world-capable, as it has 3 different 3G implementations built-in.)

Thanks in advance

[ This Message was edited by: Hlcn Twst on 2007-05-02 17:52 ]
--
Posted: 2007-05-02 15:43:00
Edit : Quote

JK Posts: > 500

On 2007-05-02 15:43:00, Hlcn Twst wrote:
I'm obviously a dummy, as even Wikipedia's explanation of 3G is incomprehensible to me

I know what it is in principle - the new generation of mobile internet after EDGE (2.5G).

What I don't understand are the different frequencies, protocols, etc. in use around the world. AFAIK, Cingular (USA) is expanding its existing 850/1900 MHz network to run HSDPA. T-Mobile (USA) bought up 1700 and 2100 MHz spectrum for its 3G, whatever protocol they choose to implement. This much I have gleaned from this article. Looking at the mobile phones sold outside the USA, it appears to me that the rest of the world uses 2100 MHz WCDMA. Do I have this correct so far?

What are HSDPA, WCDMA, etc.? What is UMTS? And what would a true "world" 3G phone need other than being quad-band (for voice) + EDGE? (The HTC Hermes is I believe truly world-capable, as it has 3 different 3G implementations built-in.)

Thanks in advance

Ok you get different types of data carriers, 1st being GPRS which can send data in small slow sizes, like pictures etc MMS.

Then came EDGE which a faster data carrier, twice as fast as GPRS! Almost fast enough to view live streams.

Then come 3G which is very fast 384KBS it enables live video streaming, video calls fast internet downloads.

Then comes HSPDA which is around 6 times + faster than 3G, meaning if you wanted to download a 2MB file it could theoretically download it in 1 second!!!

WCDMA is old technology ie it bills internet usage by the minute whereas 3G/HSDPA bills only the data downloaded.

Hope u understand.
--
Posted: 2007-05-02 16:22:11

WCDMA is old technology ie it bills internet usage by the minute whereas 3G/HSDPA bills only the data downloaded.

Wow, so Cingular is actually ahead of somebody? The end is nigh!

Around the world, who uses what? Outside the US, is it WCDMA or something else?

Here in the US, anyone know what T-Mobile will use? (I may be switching from Cingular.)

--
Posted: 2007-05-02 16:24:28

JK Posts: > 500

On 2007-05-02 16:24:28, Hlcn Twst wrote:

Wow, so Cingular is actually ahead of somebody? The end is nigh!

Around the world, who uses what? Outside the US, is it WCDMA or something else?

Here in the US, anyone know what T-Mobile will use? (I may be switching from Cingular.)

We have HSDPA which is 1.8 MBs, we heading into the 3,6MBs very soon and then 7,2MBs!!
We had 3G around 2.5 years ago.

The US is behind but they catching up fast, there biggest mistake was not using GSM!!

As for T-mobile im not sure what they will use. Probably the 3G/HSDPA route.
WCDMA is what we call CSD ie Circuit Switched Data... Like I said Old technology now.
--
Posted: 2007-05-02 16:30:03

The US is behind but they catching up fast, there biggest mistake was not using GSM!!

Our biggest problems have been spectrum allocation and cost. The world decided to make GSM run on 900 and 1800, two frequencies the US had long since allocated to other uses. (IIRC 900 was for cordless phones and baby monitors, and 1800 is a restricted government frequency.) This limited the handsets available to us, thus artificially retarding our advancement in GSM.

Ditto for 3G - 2100 MHz is also a restricted frequency here. I could say this was a deliberate conspiracy against the US

As for cost: It's neither cheap nor easy to set up towers across a nation as large and, in most places, sparsely populated as the US!

--
Posted: 2007-05-02 17:49:53

BobaFett Posts: > 500

click here "technology"

http://www.gsmworld.com/index.shtml
--
Posted: 2007-05-02 20:19:59

aatuif Posts: > 500

In india, we still linger on with gprs, with very few pockets having edge connectivity... No 3G yet...
--
Posted: 2007-05-04 12:05:00

carkitter Posts: > 500

Here in New Zealand we have only two network operators:
Telecom NZ (CDMA/CDMA2000 1xEV-DO) and Vodafone NZ (GSM/GPRS/UMTS/HSDPA)

Most of the 3G vodafone mobiles here are 384kbps.

The Vodem that plugs into my laptop supplies me with 3G at (supposedly) 3.6Mbps and there are PCMCIA cards (3.2Mbps) and 3G Wifi routers (384 kbps) available.

Some useful info here

Its rumoured that Telecom NZ may drop CDMA and finally build the GSM network they should've built long ago.
--
Posted: 2007-05-05 07:56:53

dayz Posts: 144

philippines do now offer 3g but the speed is like GPRS

i pity our network T_T
--
Posted: 2007-05-05 09:11:53

aatuif Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2007-05-05 09:11:53, dayz wrote:
philippines do now offer 3g but the speed is like GPRS

i pity our network T_T
how can 3g speed be like gprs... it can't stoop that low... maybe it isn't 3g after all...
--
Posted: 2007-05-05 14:16:00
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home