Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : What is 3G, 3GP and 3G2?
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > What is 3G, 3GP and 3G2? Bookmark topic
jumpjump Posts: 37

What is 3G?

3G stands for third generation, a generic wireless industry term for high-speed mobile data delivery over mobileular networks. 3G networks allow users to send and receive bandwidth-intensive information such as video, video conferencing, high quality audio and web data on-demand, virtually anytime and anywhere.

What is 3GP, 3G2?

3GP is the new mobile phone video file format. Simply, 3GP is a container format, or a simplified version of the MPEG-4 format that uses less storage and bandwidth for better streaming on mobile phones.
3GPP and 3GPP2 are the new worldwide standard for the creation, delivery and playback of multimedia over the third generation, high-speed wireless networks. Defined by the Third Generation Partnership Project and Third Generation Partnership Project 2 respectively, these standards seek to provide uniform delivery of rich multimedia over newly evolved, broadband mobile networks (3rd generation networks) to the latest multimedia-enabled wireless devices.
The 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3G/3GPP) is a collaboration agreement that was established in the 1990s. The 3GPP and 3GPP2 specifications call out specific types of media that can exist in .3gp and .3g2 files.
Tailored to the unique requirements of mobile devices, 3GPP and 3GPP2 take advantage of MPEG-4, the standard for delivery of video and audio over the Internet.

Extensions

.3gp. 3GPP standard, GSM Network, Video: MPEG-4, H.263, Audio: AAC, AMR
.3g2. 3GPP2 standard, CDMA2000 Network, Video: MPEG-4, H.263, Audio: AAC, AMR, QCELP.

The evolution of high-speed wireless digital networks is based on two predominant technologies, GSM and CDMA2000. Both types of 3G networks are currently being deployed worldwide to offer consumers a variety of on-the-go multimedia services.

Once you transfer a video from a mobile phone to your PC, the easiest way to play it back is to use Apple’s QuickTime Player.

In general, if a mobile phone records a 3GP video, it should conform to the 3GP standard. However, a mobile phone may not has the ability to play all variety of 3GP videos due to limited codecs supported on the mobile phone. Thus it is easy to convert a mobile phone 3GP file to a video format playable on a PC, but it is not so easy to convert a PC video to a 3GP file compatible with your particular mobile phone brand, or to convert online video to 3GP, you need a flv converter to do that, good luck now, youtube video/google video/ can play on 3GP phone with FLV Converter

--
Posted: 2007-06-15 06:29:08
Edit : Quote

Twometre Posts: > 500

I too would like to know what these 3...something something are including 3D. Please help!

This message was posted from a C1100
--
Posted: 2007-06-15 07:43:50

*Jojo* Posts: > 500

@jump - Your LINK does not work mate . . . .
--
Posted: 2007-06-16 03:53:39

*Jojo* Posts: > 500

@jump -I just tried accessing your LINK - now . . . and it worked . . . Thanks !
--
Posted: 2007-06-17 03:24:54

jumpjump Posts: 37

On 2007-06-15 07:43:50, comfort mdu wrote:
I too would like to know what these 3...something something are including 3D. Please help!

This message was posted from a C1100

, tks comfort,
I just know a little about playing flv(flash video) from youtube google video, Metacafe, MySpace, Putfile, Dailymotion, Fabchannel, EOnline websites to play on 3G phone or other portable devices,if you can meet your need, all solution you can see FLV Converter I mentioned above,about 3D, you can google 3D or wikipedia may give you more detail information, hope that can help you, good luck!
--
Posted: 2007-06-18 08:06:24

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home