Esato Mobile
Network operators : Asia Pacific : The great New Zealand telecommunications battle
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Network operators > Asia Pacific > The great New Zealand telecommunications battle Bookmark topic
Page <  123, 4 ... 141516>

carkitter Posts: > 500

@stunned

I've been trying to use Vodafone data instead of Telecom's crappy Xtra broadband for more than 2 years and only managed it last year when Vodafone finally got thier act together with some good pricing plans; it still needs to get cheaper though, and faster and better coverage. I'm fortunate to be in a 3G area, many people are'nt.

And the franchisee thing is getting out of hand. In Aucklands North Shore its Digital Mobile vs First Mobile and 'God help you' if you bought from one and want service from the other.

And genuine accessories don't exist here despite huge range of innovative high quality products. Even the Sony Style stores have to order from the Head Orifice because they don't stock anything.
--
Posted: 2008-02-16 14:44:59
Edit : Quote

Muhammad-Oli Posts: > 500

On 2008-02-16 14:44:59, carkitter wrote:
And genuine accessories don't exist here despite huge range of innovative high quality products. Even the Sony Style stores have to order from the Head Orifice because they don't stock anything.

And even their head office isn't up to date. They stock few accessories and at high prices.

I wanted an FM transmitter a while back and went into my Sony Style store in Christchurch to see what they could do. They could sell me the older version (the 60 model) for $90! I wanted the 70 model for a lot cheaper than that (maybe around $50). What's more, it was going to take at least a week to get it in! I gave up and bought one to plug into my MP3 player instead.

Sony Style down here in Chch only seems to stock very expensive accessories like some $400 speakers and a $600 watch, and they only have them in because they are too expensive to sell!
--
Posted: 2008-02-16 14:52:32

Excellent NZ Herald article on Mobile Data here:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sec[....]_id=5&objectid=10492315&pnum=0

Looks like Telsta Australia will go from a useless CDMA network to a whopping 42 - 100 Mbps HSDPA (GSM) network in no time flat. I betcha Telecom will be trying to do likewise and catch VodafoneNZ unawares.

I'm not blowing my own trumpet when I say that I knew 2 years ago that Mobile Data will eventually outpace Landline connections, that's why I've been trying to ditch my landline since 2006. Its obvious that NZ's copper wire network and the infamous 'distance to local exchange' would be a hinderance to development and prohibitively expensive to replace. In fact some of it will never be cost-effective to replace.

Can't wait to see 's 100 Mbps HSDPA offerings!
--
Posted: 2008-02-17 02:58:17

Lol Telecom won't be able to overtake Vodafone, as Vodafone will be upgrading at the same time probably. They may be able to match each other, but I don't see Telecom overtaking, especially with little experience with GSM networks.
--
Posted: 2008-02-17 04:48:47

JiSm Posts: 404

I worked for Telecom for 6 years before cummin to UK (to work for Orange) and Telecom has always been primarily Business focused. The CDMA network was viewed as the premium world network due to its data handling abilities. I remember doing a speed test on a Sierra Wireless Aircard and had download speeds of 3 MEG! (I was right next to a Telecom repeater tho) but man, it was fast. It was just after the rollout of EV-DO and mobile data had no competition. In Telecoms vision, the entire country wanted to be completely wireless and speed was the limitation (again, talking business) hence the decision for CDMA (apart from the fact it was cheaper to upgrade the TDMA network with "plug and Play" upgrades to the cell sites). The decision to install a GSM network is purely to fit in with the world I guess. Roaming had always been an issue as 80% of countries dont have a CDMA network and a loan phone and loan number were always required. Things like $10 txt etc were perfect for residential usage and also benefited Telecom because CDMA allowed this to work at no charge to the network - Pure profit. I would think that when the Telecom GSM network is launched, there will be no more $10 txt because of the sheer cost of the messages.

STINK!

Oh well, I will be bringing back a few GSM goodies from here when I come back

--
Posted: 2008-02-17 21:45:18

Ooh what kind of goodies?
--
Posted: 2008-02-24 09:30:48

JiSm Posts: 404

Haha. The X1 will be out so might pick up a few with my "Buying abilities" I have with Orange

Still, The X1 jumped out from nowhere so who knows what might pop out just before I leave.

Will be nice! haha
--
Posted: 2008-02-26 22:14:18

Yeah bring a few X1s back, you'll probably get top dollars for them, because it will be ages before we see it properly (through VF) here!
--
Posted: 2008-02-27 11:44:55

This NZ Herald article mentions Telecom having HSDPA of 14.4Mbps in Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch by November. I knew they'd try to leap frog Vodafone! It'll be interesting to see Vodafone NZ's response.

The article also says Vodafone will use 900Mhz 3G in rural areas to fulfill it's Govt obligations for rural broadband coverage.
--
Posted: 2008-03-29 04:59:22

Wwooow! Thats fast! Lets hope Vodafone have a plan in place to be able to throw it all back into Telecom's face!
--
Posted: 2008-03-29 05:12:53
Page <  123, 4 ... 141516>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home