Esato Mobile
Network operators : Europe : ‘The mobile phone rip-off’ Dispatches to be aired tonight
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Network operators > Europe > ‘The mobile phone rip-off’ Dispatches to be aired tonight Bookmark topic
Page1234>

jcwhite_uk Posts: > 500

The networks will come under attack tonight from a Channel 4 Dispatches programme that promises to reveal ‘the secrets the mobile phone industry doesn’t want you to know.’

The operators are to be criticised for a range of issues including cashback, misselling, slamming, roaming charge costs and high prices of domestic calls and texts.

The government is also singled out by the show, with one section pledging to ‘reveal how the government sided with the mobile networks against the British consumer.’

Dispatches journalists approached a number of the industries top brass in an attempt to illicit a response, including O2’s Matthew Key, Vodafone’s Arun Sarin, Orange’s Brigitte Bougoin and T-Mobile’s Jim Hyde. However, only Hyde was willing to speak on the issues.

Dispatches: The mobile phone rip-off will be aired at 8pm tonight on channel 4.

--
Posted: 2008-04-28 14:38:25
Edit : Quote

gola Posts: > 500

I knew something wasn't right...
--
Posted: 2008-04-28 17:14:56

fatreg Posts: > 500

Well nothing I didn't know already so far........

although I did spend 6 years on the inside.
--
Posted: 2008-04-28 21:19:18

jcwhite_uk Posts: > 500

Who watched it then? Some points were interesting and some were just stirring.
I cant see how they can say that the problems with cashback is down to the networks when it is the shops offering the cashback.
I had never though about the cost of texts before. It does appear that we are being ripped off.
--
Posted: 2008-04-28 22:26:28

djtwistter Posts: > 500

just watched it,it is shockily the truth
--
Posted: 2008-04-28 22:29:46

5nak3 Posts: 364

recorded it, gonna watch in a bit later on.
--
Posted: 2008-04-28 22:30:04

lovewalrus Posts: 480

I agree with the program that text charges are to high, but considering the fact that at least 60% of the revenue goes into R&D so that we can have new services, I'm willin to pay extra! As for the cash back-it's the consumers to blame for going for quick cash option and not taking the responsibilty of lookin at the bigger picture and alternatives!

This message was posted from a BlackBerry 8110
--
Posted: 2008-04-28 22:39:40

bavlondon2 Posts: > 500

To be honest yeah the cash back redemption deals are a load of shit but generally the industry is a lot better than what it used to be in terms of pricing.

I mean before how much did it cost to call another network? These days I get so many mintues I dont need to go over. Same goes for texting and surfing.

When your buying a phone you need to be clued up to some degree otherwise you will just end up getting ripped of in one way or another.
--
Posted: 2008-04-28 22:41:23

fatreg Posts: > 500

On 2008-04-28 22:26:28, jcwhite_uk wrote:

I had never though about the cost of texts before. It does appear that we are being ripped off.

A text is less than 1kb is size, that's the equivalent of £102.40 per MB... and I'm not even a DR, but I worked that out! but yeah bearing in mind, texting was an offspring from the networks..

Didn't know that it only costs 10c to connect an European call to another European phone though (as in real cost, not what we pay)
--
Posted: 2008-04-28 22:53:05

bavlondon2 Posts: > 500

Did you know SMS wasnt even intended to be used as a feature originally. Its sucess was completley unpredicted. It was meant to be used only just to allow operators to send settings and msgs to our phone. Everyone in the phone industry is greedy thats just the way it is.
--
Posted: 2008-04-28 22:55:55
Page1234>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home