Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : Nokia : Nokia suing Apple over the infringment of a dozen of patents
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia suing Apple over the infringment of a dozen of patents Bookmark topic
adnansanni Posts: > 500

According to GSMarena.com:

Nokia have obviously had some grudges with Apple ever since the iPhone was introduced in 2007 and now they're even going to court. The reason - well, Apple have used some of Nokia's GSM, UMTS and WLAN patented technologies in all of the three generations of the iPhone, but they seem to be refusing to pay any licensing fees.

As far as we understand, the technologies in question are not a trade secret, but rather fundamental GSM, UMTS and WLAN standards, the establishment of which has taken Nokia quite some R&D time and resources. The use of these technologies has been licensed (for a fee) to all other mobile phone manufacturers since making a modern GSM handset is obviously impossible without using some of those standards (as Nokia claim).

So it's either Apple playing naughty here or their R&D department has come up with some exciting new technology that no one knows about.
--
Posted: 2009-10-22 19:28:26
Edit : Quote

McKinley Posts: > 500

Go Nokia go is all I can say.
Apple are pretty good in sueing other companies for using their pinch method which even isn't invented by themselves.
[ This Message was edited by: McKinley on 2009-10-22 18:38 ]

--
Posted: 2009-10-22 19:37:56

jcwhite_uk Posts: > 500

There seems to have been a few cases of Apple using other peopls technology without getting permission or paying for it.
It seems that Apple steal other peoples tech, integrate into their products and sell it as theirs.
--
Posted: 2009-10-22 20:45:05

korbindallis Posts: > 500

I'm with nokia on this one.

--
Posted: 2009-10-23 07:29:42

AbuBasim Posts: > 500

I'm a happy iPhone user but I don't like how Apple have started behaving, especially towards us owning officially unlocked iPhones. They have grown too much and Jobs now thinks he's Bill Gates. Someone needs to teach them a lesson so I will be watching the progress of this case.
--
Posted: 2009-10-23 08:09:44

anonymuser Posts: > 500

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Is it really the case that every other manufacturer - SE, Samsung, Motorolla, LG, HTC, RIM, Palm - they all hand over money to Nokia everytime they release a new GSM phone? If that's true, then surely that's not good for competition. Or is it actually the case that only a few have paid some cursory fee, and Nokia are simply chasing Apple for big bucks because they're a big fat target?
--
Posted: 2009-10-23 12:34:24

McKinley Posts: > 500

On 2009-10-23 12:34:24, Boinng wrote:
Sounds like sour grapes to me. Is it really the case that every other manufacturer - SE, Samsung, Motorolla, LG, HTC, RIM, Palm - they all hand over money to Nokia everytime they release a new GSM phone? If that's true, then surely that's not good for competition. Or is it actually the case that only a few have paid some cursory fee, and Nokia are simply chasing Apple for big bucks because they're a big fat target?

My previous post in this thread briefly explains the situation.
Most companies seem to accept to pay each other a fee to use their technology while Apple don't give a crap about it.
--
Posted: 2009-10-23 12:53:56

masseur Posts: > 500

Engadget have an in depth analysis of all this which is worth a read
--
Posted: 2009-10-29 16:26:47

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home