Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : Nokia : Nokia dropping Symbian from N-Series by 2012
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia dropping Symbian from N-Series by 2012 Bookmark topic
Page12>

S4k1s Posts: > 500

"This evening, at the official N900 meet-up in London, the Maemo marketing team revealed that Nokia plan to drop Symbian from the entire ‘top end’ N-Series range of handsets in favour of Maemo by 2012.

There are no current plans for Maemo devices in the new video-focused X-Series range or popular E-Series enterprise range" Link

So it's official then...

Any thoughts?
[ This Message was edited by: S4k1s on 2009-11-18 17:44 ]

--
Posted: 2009-11-18 18:34:45
Edit : Quote

domipost Posts: > 500

"Symbian is more succesful than ever! So why the heck would we quit our commitment to it?! Symbian will defintely survive this rumor!"

That's what the Dutch pr man from Nokia thinks about it
--
Posted: 2009-11-18 18:36:13

gforce23 Posts: > 500

I think that was pretty evident going by the recent discussions in the other threads. S60 (or rather Symbian^1) will be the new S40 going forward, while Maemo will proliferate through the N series ranks. New S60v5 devices can be had for a shade over $200 and it's only a matter of time (maybe less than an year) before they reach the bottom end of the market. Samsung's Corby & Star and LG's Cookie have been smash hits with consumers, so Nokia will definitely try to counter that with some super cheap S60v5 devices.

Will Nokia incorporate Maemo into their E-series lineup though? Or maybe get webOS to power those devices, given the recent rumors?
--
Posted: 2009-11-18 18:41:35

McKinley Posts: > 500

I have never been a great fan of Symbian with S60 as a platform so it doesn't matter for me.
Abolish S60 Sony Ericsson and release UIQ 3.0
--
Posted: 2009-11-18 18:42:11

S4k1s Posts: > 500

No plans for Maemo for the E-Series enterprise range.
But what does this mean for ?
This is not leaving with a lot of options for its high-end devices...
[ This Message was edited by: S4k1s on 2009-11-18 17:48 ]

--
Posted: 2009-11-18 18:42:18

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

On 2009-11-18 18:42:11, McKinley wrote:
I have never been a great fan of Symbian with S60 as a platform so it doesn't matter for me.
Abolish S60 Sony Ericsson and release UIQ 3.0

They did, long ago with the P1i and had marginal success with it. UIQ is dead, get used to it - it'll be integrated into Symbian^2 & onward.

I'm VERY curious WHY its going to take Nokia 2 FULL more years to MAKE such a change. Could it be because Maemo might have issues with corporate email support (Exchange & Lotus Notes Domino), or is it that it'll take that much time for Maemo to mature?

How can Maemo benefit existing E-Series devices like E71, E72, E63, E75 etc when it's created for Touch-Screen experience only thus far?!

To be honest Nokia has WAY too many mouths & hands working seperately from the core torso of their business. Why advertise Ovi Store & Services on the N900 in Youtube yet have a seperate named portal for repository and consumers to use (to purchase apps) when its launched [Maemo Select]?!?!

Also it would be stupid for Nokia to make another expensive purchase for Palm & their WebOS.
--
Posted: 2009-11-18 19:19:07

Bonovox Posts: > 500

Samsung recently also denied rumours it was ditching Symbian. Nokia have already had big success with cheaper Symbian phones. The 5530xm has been selling big it hit no.1 spot after a week or so. I would like to see something new but the only thing thats odd about the new operating system Nokia are using is it cannot be used in portrait mode. Odd.
--
Posted: 2009-11-18 20:14:00

carkitter Posts: > 500

The 5530XM is the right combination of features at the right price, it's no wonder it's a hit and good on Nokia for spotting a niche and exploiting it.
I think it's also a smart move to take S60 v5 downmarket but where does that leave all the other members of the symbian foundation? SE's stated aim is to sell high end communication/media phones so a low end OS is going to be completely useless to them, after they donated the whole UIQ business to the cause. It's very obvious that Nokia is not a good company to partner up with, because they turn on you. Maybe all's fair in love and war, but Nokia should really swallow it's pride and support Android or Apple will continue to kick their butt in profitability.

Perhaps they feel that buying Palm will give them the break into the US smartphone market that they desperately need?
Does the world really need another smartphone platform?
--
Posted: 2009-11-18 22:49:28

Bonovox Posts: > 500

Speaking of Palm I was in the O2 store yesterday just having a play with some live phones. The Palm Pre is nasty Its slide was wobbly & i hated the feel of it & its interface confusing But back on topic Nokia have done well with the 5530xm because as a budget offering its far better than your Tocco Lite or Cookie phones. Its now only £99 in CPWH if bought online I also agree it would be great if Nokia took on Android
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2009-11-18 21:55 ]

--
Posted: 2009-11-18 22:53:59

Hobbs Posts: > 500

Change is good.
--
Posted: 2009-11-19 05:32:44
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index