Esato Mobile
Information : Esato News Articles : Sony Mobile announces the Xperia Sola 3.7 inch Android smartphone
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Information > Esato News Articles > Sony Mobile announces the Xperia Sola 3.7 inch Android smartphone Bookmark topic
Page12>

laffen Posts: > 500

Sony Mobile today introduced the Xperia Sola 3.7 inch Android smartphone. It is following the design style set by the Ion, Xperia S, U and P smartphones. With the Xperia Sola, Sony also introduces floating touch

SonyXperiaSolafloatingtouch

Esato News

--
Posted: 2012-03-13 11:45:28
Edit : Quote

julias Posts: > 500

Floating Touch interface is very innovative and brilliant, eat your heart out Apple!
--
Posted: 2012-03-13 12:31:38

xell Posts: > 500

Floating touch demoed by the devs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q73bHn9xus
--
Posted: 2012-03-13 13:15:27

tranced Posts: > 500

This phone actually catches my eyes. But I don't know why. It's not the floating touch thing but its design. It brings the same feeling I had when I owned the K750 for the first time. Don't know why.
--
Posted: 2012-03-13 13:35:43

se_love Posts: > 500

On 2012-03-13 13:35:43, tranced wrote:
This phone actually catches my eyes. But I don't know why. It's not the floating touch thing but its design. It brings the same feeling I had when I owned the K750 for the first time. Don't know why.

It has to do with the back. For the first time in ages, Sony did what SE hasn't and made the camera look thick, beastly and even at 5MP I think it can do wonders. The front is also great, with the screen extended out ever so subtly to separate it from the bottom, and that bitching light is pure aesthetic gold. For 300 euros, with a slight drop in 2 months at an easy 200, I'd take it for sure.
--
Posted: 2012-03-13 16:58:10

jack00 Posts: > 500

this floating touch (also known as proximity touch) is used by wacom in their products since ... ever. but cool to have it on a phone, finally there is no need to buy smartphone gloves to use a phone in winter.
--
Posted: 2012-03-13 17:37:21

Bonovox Posts: > 500

It's good but I imagine the floating touch thing a little awkward
--
Posted: 2012-03-13 21:54:20

chunkybeats Posts: 497

Good work Sony more of this please!
--
Posted: 2012-03-13 22:57:57

etaab Posts: > 500

So hows it work ? via the proximity sensor ?

I'd rather have the Xperia S though.
--
Posted: 2012-03-13 23:09:30

feryshad Posts: 114

On 2012-03-13 23:09:30, etaab wrote:
So hows it work ? via the proximity sensor ?

I'd rather have the Xperia S though.

http://developer.sonymobile.c[....]-touch-makes-it-possible-video

There are two types of capacitive sensors used for touch screens, mutual capacitance and self-capacitance. Mutual capacitance makes multi-touch detection possible. Self-capacitance generates a stronger signal than mutual capacitance, which allows accurate detection of the finger further away from the sensors. However, with self-capacitance it is not possible to perform multi-touch detection due to an effect called “ghosting”.

Combining self and mutual capacitance to allow floating touch™
Floating touch™ is solved by running both mutual capacitance and self capacitance, on the same touch screen, at the same time. Mutual capacitance is used for the normal touch sensing, including multi-touch. By running elf-capacitance at the same time, we can detect a finger above the surface of the screen. However, since the floating touch™ technology depends on self capacitance, it is not possible to perform multi-touch gestures with the fingers hovering above the screen. However, multi-touch will work fine for the normal touch gestures on the screen.

The technology has been developed in cooperation with Cypress Technologies. By leveraging on the existing capacitive touch sensor, and lowering the threshold for touch registration, it will be possible to differentiate between floating touch™ and “normal” touch. All Android™ applications will work perfectly fine, just like before, and only the apps that explicitly “listen” for floating touch™ events will react to them.
--
Posted: 2012-03-13 23:56:01
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home