Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : General : BlackBerry Plans To Launch bbm Across Multiple Platforms This Summer
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > BlackBerry Plans To Launch bbm Across Multiple Platforms This Summer Bookmark topic
Page12>

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

This is official people! The real deal.
(I never thought this would happen)

PS: Another big announcement is BBM Channels, currently in Beta ... think FaceBook specific pages or google+ but on a mobile platform. Innovation.

BlackBerry Plans To Launch BBM Across Multiple Platforms This Summer!

f you’re already a fan of BlackBerry Messenger (BBM), we’ve got some exciting news designed to make it easier for you to connect with your entire mobile social network. BlackBerry plans to make BBM, our wildly popular mobile messaging service, available for the first time to iOS® and Android™ users this summer, (subject to approval by Google Play and the Apple App Store, as applicable). This means that, once available, you can welcome your friends and family using these other mobile platforms to connect over BBM and share in the Team BlackBerry love.

As we’ve chronicled on our Inside BlackBerry blog for some time now, BBM set the standard for mobile instant messaging with fast and reliable service and an added layer of engagement with delivered and read statuses. You’ve shared with us your stories about how BBM has kept you connected when it mattered most to you. Upon release of the multi-platform BBM service, you can broaden that real-time connection to friends and colleagues on other supported mobile platforms.

In the first version of multi-platform BBM, iOS and Android users are expected to be able to experience the following BBM features:

The immediacy of BBM chats
Multi-person chats
Voice note sharing
BlackBerry Groups, where BBM users are able to set up groups of up to 30 people and share calendar, photos, files and more
The team here at BlackBerry has definitely been working hard to bring the much-adored BBM experience to a wider group of mobile users. In a recent press release at BlackBerry Live 2013, Andrew Bocking, Executive Vice President, Software Product Management and Ecosystem, at BlackBerry had this to say:

“For BlackBerry, messaging and collaboration are inseparable from the mobile experience, and the time is definitely right for BBM to become a multi-platform mobile service. BBM has always been one of the most engaging services for BlackBerry customers, enabling them to easily connect while maintaining a valued level of personal privacy. We’re excited to offer iOS and Android users the possibility to join the BBM community.”

BBM Quick Facts:
More than 60 million monthly active users
More than 51 million daily active users who are connecting with friends or colleagues an average of one and a half hours every day.
BBM users send and receive more than 10 billion messages each day, nearly twice as many messages per user per day as compared to other mobile messaging apps
Almost half of BBM messages are read within 20 seconds of being received; indicating how truly engaged BBM customers are
Today, BlackBerry also announced BBM Channels, a new social engagement platform within BBM that will allow customers to connect with the businesses, brands, celebrities and groups they are passionate about. BlackBerry plans to add support for BBM Channels as well as voice and video chatting for iOS and Android later this year, subject to approval by the Apple App Store and Google Play. If approved by Apple and Google, the BBM app will be available as a free download in the Apple® App StoreSM and Google Play store. Additional details about system requirements and availability will be announced closer to the launch.

That’s some pretty big news, indeed. Be sure to share your thoughts with us in the comments below, who will be the first person from your extended network that you introduce to BBM?

--
Posted: 2013-05-14 18:19:10
Edit : Quote

tranced Posts: > 500

I didn't think of it either. The pressure from the others pushed them to this.
--
Posted: 2013-05-14 19:45:59

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

This news would've excited me a year ago as back then most of my friends and acquaintances had Blackberrys, now though? Majority have Galaxy S3s, Notes, Galaxy Aces and iPhones, very few have BBs, those that do are looking exclusively at a Galaxy S4 or iPhone5 as their upgrade.

Anyway, it is a move in the right direction, and will have WhatsApp dropping their yearly charge.
--
Posted: 2013-05-14 21:06:44

On 2013-05-14 21:06:44, Tsepz_GP wrote:
This news would've excited me a year ago as back then most of my friends and acquaintances had Blackberrys, now though? Majority have Galaxy S3s, Notes, Galaxy Aces and iPhones, very few have BBs, those that do are looking exclusively at a Galaxy S4 or iPhone5 as their upgrade.

Anyway, it is a move in the right direction, and will have WhatsApp dropping their yearly charge.

Well the initial launch will include:
BBM Chat,
BBM Groups - this is key because its not about a group chat here, its a Private Calendar, Private sharing of Photos, Video Voice Notes, Notes, etc.

The killer uptake here will be in emerging markets.

Especially near end of 2013 when:
BBM Voice,
BBM Video,
BBM Screen Share,
and,
BBM Channels debuts as well.

Thus far Channels is still growing in beta but its REALLY good!

Photo courtesy of TSepsz_GP,

Right now on CB 699 posts already on existing BB users going nuts some for some against the decision, some just so confused not sure what to think (I'm in this camp to be honest).

The key is that its free ... none of this Free for 12mths and then I screw you a dollar per month like WhatsApp. But we'll soon see how this works. WhatsApp also charges on some platforms now just to download the app and use it free for 1st year.
[ This Message was edited by: Hardened on 2013-05-14 23:30 ]

--
Posted: 2013-05-15 00:27:46

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

Yep, it will see great uptake in emerging markets like here in SA, where parents buy their kids BB's like the 9300, 9360s and 9380s to keep in touch at low rates, now the parents can use their iPhone/Android to BBM little Johnny at school.

This is going to be great for privacy, no more giving out your number and regretting it the next morning, now just give out your BBM pin and silently delete that person after happy days!

I can imagine some not being happy, maybe due to them buying BB's for BBM, guess it's down what you use your BB for.
--
Posted: 2013-05-15 01:28:58

skblakee Posts: > 500

I am surprised that there has not been more discussions on here about this. BBM opening up seemed inevitable an now all the crazy-heads who bought BB's solely for the messenger have little reasons to stick to that. It was the only thing that BB had that I liked. It might kill sales
--
Posted: 2013-05-15 02:27:26

TSepsz_GP,

Well said insightful view! I haven't thought of that paradigm. I'm sure PIN won't be used on other platforms vs a BB ID, but that's how it most likely will work, the way you explained it.

The real kicker is having BlackBerry BBM Channels. Think of this as BBM+Twitter(without 140character limit)+Instagram(sharing of pictures & other media) created by end users and company's to share ideas. If you think it was great for people to submit their own media to news about issues in their community, watch this go viral on BBM Channels. Not to mention Voice Calls (free) and Video Calls and Screen Sharing across platforms. Hmm. There is no other IM on mobile that offers this universally.

On 2013-05-15 02:27:26, skblakee wrote:
I am surprised that there has not been more discussions on here about this. BBM opening up seemed inevitable an now all the crazy-heads who bought BB's solely for the messenger have little reasons to stick to that. It was the only thing that BB had that I liked. It might kill sales

I'm surprised as well. Then again until its available ... out of sight, out of mind, as the saying goes. We shall see what occurs this summer.
--
Posted: 2013-05-15 15:25:13

alenn Posts: > 500

Next:
Nokia releases Nokia Maps to Android and iOS.
--
Posted: 2013-05-16 17:41:56

djin Posts: > 500

I would jump to BBM, Mainly because its more secure than whatsapp, viber, etc. But I hope they somehow drop the bb pin..

@alenn,
Nokia maps is already available for android and ios via nokia here
--
Posted: 2013-05-16 18:11:01

alenn Posts: > 500

Didn't know that.
Thanks.
--
Posted: 2013-05-16 18:50:55
Page12>