Esato Mobile
Network operators : Europe : Three predicted to buy O2 in 2014
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Network operators > Europe > Three predicted to buy O2 in 2014 Bookmark topic
Page1234>

Bonovox Posts: > 500

Analysis firm CCS Insight said the move will see Three become a leading European operator

Three will acquire O2 to establish itself as a leading European operator next year, according to analysis firm CCS Insight.
The firm said O2 parent company Telefonica will take advantage of “favourable regulatory conditions” in the EU to sell its mobile business in the UK to reduce its debts.
Three acquired O2 Ireland this year as well as Orange in Austria.
CCS Insight also predicted that public wi-fi usage in the UK will peak in 2015 as the technology is made “less relevant” by the strong uptake of 4G.
With EE reporting that 43% of its customers use less public Wi-Fi after signing up to 4G services, this trend will continue as 4G becomes the norm for consumers, the firm said. The UK is set to become one of Europe’s most competitive markets for LTE, it added.
Yahoo is predicted to acquire Flipboard and Pinterest to bolster its mobile presence next year, while Twitter is expected to buy Snapchat.
Looking further, France Telekom and Deutsche Telekom are expected to merge completely (they make up EE in the UK) by 2015. “The move [will set] a precedent for other major mergers in European telecoms to challenge the likes of Verizon and China Mobile on the global stage,” the analysis firm said.
CCS Insight CEO and founder Shaun Collins said: “2013 has been a year of massive shake ups within the technology and telecoms sector. Nokia – Microsoft, Verizon – Vodafone and of course; Blackberry. Looking to the years ahead we expect this trend to continue. With various telecoms and technology giants under financial strain, the next few years should see yet more consolidation in this industry.”

www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2013/11/15/three-predicted-to-buy-o2-in-2014/
--
Posted: 2013-11-15 15:06:00
Edit : Quote

PowerLee Posts: 344

If 3 did buy O2 would this have any effect on the Cornerstone project between O2 & Vodafone?

O2 webmail shut down this week, looks like mobile data is now cut off when you go over your limit instead of being slowed down.

Would be nice if it did happen that 3 & O2 shared there network coverage.

How would this affect Gif Gaf & also Tesco mobile who both use the O2 network.

--
Posted: 2013-11-15 16:27:59

goldenface Posts: > 500

I hope Three doesn' put price up to pay for it. They're hard to beat and I never fancied O2.
--
Posted: 2013-11-15 17:25:25

It's already happened in Ireland but it would give them extra coverage and capacity. Although again there'll be less competition. I doubt Three would rid of the unlimited data as they know they would lose customers.
--
Posted: 2013-11-15 18:15:00

goldenface Posts: > 500

Yeah, unlimited data and no extra cost 4G is a pretty strong selling point. They would be stupid to do so.
--
Posted: 2013-11-15 18:21:20

XperiaJunkie Posts: > 500

I work for O2 but in a franchise store. There are more franchise stores than retail around 70/30 split, if 3 do buy O2 it will be interesting to she what the do with the franchise stores.
--
Posted: 2013-11-15 19:54:55

There's an O2 franchise store near me in Northfield,Birmingham. Very small store & slightly off topic there is a black guy in there named Elvis Anyway,Three is a very future proof network & growing all the time.
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2013-11-15 19:32 ]

--
Posted: 2013-11-15 20:27:55

XperiaJunkie Posts: > 500

Until around 2 and a half years ago I worked for three for over 5 years in a flagship store at the beginning they were a company on the rise no doubt about it but in 2011 they made some very strange moves with retail stores causing the CEO Kevin Russell to leave the company and move to Australia, Marc Allera who is now a director with EE and Ian Parpworth who is now with O2 left in a matter of weeks of each other as the parent company Hutchinson Wampoa were looking to sell 3uk to Vodafone. A lot of staff including myself didn't lile the position that 3 was heading in and decided to leave i still have friends that work for the company but have basically said the company is definitely not what it used to be and more and more staff are leaving. On face value 3 looks a very capable company butvif you scratch benith the surface they are a lot of people in very important roles that dont know what they are doing.
[ This Message was edited by: XperiaJunkie on 2013-11-15 22:30 ]

--
Posted: 2013-11-15 23:26:51

Seems crazy when you think that cos I rarely have an issue with Three at all. They always seem to be reliable in every way
--
Posted: 2013-11-16 00:06:00

Miss UK Posts: > 500

I switched to three very recently I'm enjoying
Knowing that I can use as much data as I can lol

If 3 bought O2 then it might mean better coverage won't it
For 4g? As far as I know three only have 30% coverage for 4g
As required from EE which own more
--
Posted: 2013-11-16 00:46:04