Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : Sony Xperia Sentiment 2016
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > Sony Xperia Sentiment 2016 Bookmark topic
Page <  12

amirprog Posts: > 500

@Ricky D
People want two main things to change in regard to design:
1. From glass to metal - New material and won't crack/shatter like glass.
2. Smaller top and bottom bezel resulting in bigger screen to body ratio - makes the front more seamless and less bulky due to the more rectangle xperia design.
3. Some would like a less rectangle design.
4. Z5 line volume key is a con - relocate it. Read my first post for more info.

Xperia z line design is still good but not the uniquely premium one on the block as it used to be in the past. Now even cheap mid range Chinese phones have a premium design, all the rivals addressed criticism and made their own premium design and the curved displays make the latest buzz. Sonymobile has a tough competition even when it comes to design. One thing i will add, they should omit from joining the curved display fashion because it is actually a con:
1. The curved parts reflects light back and degrade from the viewing experience.
2. Makes it impossible to install a tempered glass.
3. Does not bring truly better user experience - gimmicky.
4. More expensive to repair.
--
Posted: 2016-02-16 19:20:31
Edit : Quote

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

On 2016-02-16 14:01:28, Ricky D wrote:
To bring over from the rumours thread, I don't understand why all the fuss that the Z line design hasn't changed.

If you hole the entire Z line side by side in your hand you'd see the design has actually changed a fair amount over that time.

The Z to Z1/Z2, saw an uncovered headphone jack, rounder edges so it was less sharp/cutting in the hand, metal surround and removal of the top, bottom and side panel plastic strips. All in all a good touch up.

The Z3/Z3+/Z4 was an even bigger jump in design with the fully rounded surround, nylon drop protection corner inserts, white front glass for white version, no factory fitted shatter protection sheet.

Z5 has frosted finish glass (really classy if you've not held it in hand yourself), flatter edges, move the speakers to flush against the frame, open USB, new power button and slightly lipped frame for protecting against slippage on the super smooth front and back.

Things that haven't changed in these iteratons:

The corner radius of the footprint (Apple haven't changed theirs since 2007, Samsung haven't, HTC have had the same footprint shape for years too, it's a subtle part of brand identity)
The position of the buttons hasn't changed much (why change what is working well?)
Flaps for sim/SD slots (instead of a pin release tray? Any day)
Fixed battery (quite important for more reliable waterproofing)

What else do people want? Curved glass? Doesn't really fit in the rest of the Sony family, the TVs and PS4 are sharp cut straight edges, curves have no place. They could go with the full metal jacket approach but this requires an ugly antenna line somewhere across the back, I rather think they are trying to avoid this.

Let's get real here for a second mate, what average user is going to go into a phone shop and say "Hmmm I see that the edges are rounder, the jack is now uncovered, oh and nylon drop protection corner inserts"? When the Sony is sitting next to a Samsung with a curved SuperAMOLED display with incredibly vivid colors on one side, and then a Rose Gold iPhone on the other side?

Sony's Z series design is nice, but they have been using it for far too long and now it looks dull in a phone shop, you have to be a Sony enthusiast to truly notice it. Even I get confused and I tend to see detail, but I have often confused the Z2, Z3 and Z3+.

Sony need to differentiate and stick out.
--
Posted: 2016-02-16 20:43:54

Xajel Posts: > 500

On 2016-02-16 14:01:28, Ricky D wrote:
To bring over from the rumours thread, I don't understand why all the fuss that the Z line design hasn't changed.

If you hole the entire Z line side by side in your hand you'd see the design has actually changed a fair amount over that time.

There's nothing wrong with what you said, we all agree that Z design has evolved with each gen. and it's mature now... but every manufacturer is doing this already, the only different is that they do it for 3-4 devices only in most cases.. and because other manufacturers 3 devices will last 3 years ( or 4 devices in 4 years )... Sony in these 3 years had 6 devices ( not to mention the different sizes and tablets also sharing the same design )... and if they stayed in the same beat for 4 years.. we will have 8 generations with the same design.. only few updates...

Peoples are expecting a new design every 3-4 devices max or they will be bored, in these 3-4 devices all expect the design to evolve, every major maker do this.. but after these 3-4 devices they expect completely refreshed design.. not doing so will make people thing that these phones did not changed at all, just upgraded every time..

if you look into most reviews for Xperia devices, you will see a common description in all ( this is a good/fair upgrade to the last flagship )... and some might also say ( If you already have the last flagship, there's no point in upgrade )

So the time for a new design already passed for Sony ( as they have now the 6th gen. ).. and the 6months cycle is just too fast.. even Apple did the Xs series to slow down the generation jump and allows them to work more on new features and design because people think the Xs phones are not complete new, these are just half upgrades..
I see a lot of iPhones users choose either the X or Xs as their preferred upgrade plan, so they only upgrade for 4 -> 5 -> 6, or choose 4s -> 5s -> 6s

--
Posted: 2016-02-17 07:51:58

Ricky D Posts: > 500

I wasn't saying the designs have vastly changed, merely pointing out that the design hasn't been as static as some say.

Neither am I saying that the design changes are enough to completely stand out every iteration and be a leading sales point on a shop display, only that to say the design has 'been the same' for a long period isn't entirely correct.

Sure Sony has made mistakes in nomenclature and release periods (the Z4/Z3+ naming idea was terrible), but they have been releasing twice as many flagships per year as the other leading manufacturers and it seems they are ready to put the 6 month cycle and naming scheme to the sword.
--
Posted: 2016-02-17 14:23:07

goldenface Posts: > 500

It's hard to refine what is essentially a thin black slab. They done a good job of refining the Z3 compact, that is a very nice design and doesn't seem to have dated much at all.

I would like to see Sony move away from the 'black slab' and, even if it's for just one model, give us a different take on smartphone design.
--
Posted: 2017-01-24 21:15:43

razec Posts: > 500

I've always had one major gripe with Sony even during their JV days with Ericsson ( ) days and that's their camera performance. It's a general consensus these days that their sensors are the best the market has to offer and it had proven itself several times up to this point just from the number of much coveted products they rolled out in their mirror-less camera lineup as well as the those that are outsourced to their partners/competitors. I'm a Canon user in the photography field but I'm one of those that had wished my camera used those awesome Sony CMOS chips to pair with my glasses and have owned several Smartphones of different make that uses their sensors and enjoyed decent quality snaps but for some reason they just couldn't learn to nail the image quality right with their own Smartphone camera/s even after almost a decade since their JV flopped big time with K850 which was back then hyped to the core for its imaging pipeline. As far as I'm concerned, I couldn't care less about the software features because Android has already matured into a platform where features can be rolled out by a third party developer and can sometimes perform better than their own camera app but there is no valid excuse for their IQ issues that have consistently haunted their products for 10 straight years now. it's so Ironic even though I'm already past my / Sony fan days given the fact that I'm using an Asus Smartphone now I've always had hopes that I would see them producing Smartphones with camera/s that justify the widely recognized superiority of their homegrown sensors.

--
Posted: 2017-01-26 19:12:43
Page <  12

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home