Esato Mobile
General discussions : General : "Is the iPhone's share collapsing"
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > General > "Is the iPhone's share collapsing" Bookmark topic
Page12>

difenbaker Posts: > 500

Is Apple’s iPhone Share Collapsing? Stats Show Significant Android Growth
Android remains the leading platform out there

May 9, 2016 06:48 GMT
By Bogdan Popa

They say Apple has lost its cool factor and this is one of the reasons iPhone sales declined for the first time since launch last quarter. It goes without saying that this dropping iPhone performance should reflect in Apple’s market share numbers and according to StatCounter, it kind of does.

The chart you see here concerns mobile market share in the last 12 months of three different operating systems, namely Android, iOS, and Windows Phone.

While the performance of Windows Phone has remained pretty much unchanged, not the same thing can be said about Android and iOS, which both had ups and downs in the last year. What’s more, when iOS lost users Android improved and vice versa, so it’s very clear that some of those who jumped ship from one of the platforms migrated to the other.
"Android scores major increase"

Specifically, iOS had a share of 20.22 percent in May 2015 and grew to 20.41 percent in July. It then started a decline to eventually drop to 17.7 percent in October 2015 before recovering a little bit the next month to 19.3 percent. Performance since November has remained almost unchanged, so iOS is now powering 18.8 percent of the phones worldwide.

In the case of Android, both the ups and downs experienced by the platform were more significant, but the difference between the market share it had 12 months ago and the one it holds today is bigger.

Android was powering 64 percent of the phones in the world in May 2015, achieving its best score – 67.15 percent – in October, the same month when iOS recorded the biggest drop. And while Android lost some market share percentage points in the next month, it eventually returned to growth.

2016 seems to be a very good year for Android so far, with the platform reaching 68.28 percent in April and all signs point to continued growth in the next months.

"iPhone SE just can’t save iOS"

As said, Apple’s biggest drop was experienced in October, which was the first full month on the market for the new iPhone 6s and 6s Plus. The two new refreshed models, however, are believed to be the main causes for Apple’s decline, as they sold in relatively low numbers as compared to their predecessors.

To compensate for the rather disappointing performance of the 6s lineup, Apple introduced the SE earlier this year, hoping that users of older models would finally upgrade to a phone featuring the latest hardware and software available on an Apple device.

But despite Apple’s optimistic forecasts, analysts still estimate that the iPhone SE would sell somewhere around 10 million units this year and this clearly isn’t enough to stop this slow but certain decline. The WWDC conference in June plays a key role for Apple’s short-term performance, ahead of the big launch of the iPhone 7 in September.

source:
http://news.softpedia.com/new[....]nt-android-growth-503837.shtml

cheers!

--
Posted: 2016-05-18 13:32:18
Edit : Quote

goldenface Posts: > 500

Has Apple peaked? Still think it's too early to tell.
--
Posted: 2016-05-19 11:55:17

XperiaJunkie Posts: > 500

It'll be interesting to see the media and public reactions if the rumours of the iPhone 7 dropping the 3.5mm headphone jack are true.

If I was an iPhone user personally I'd be angry about it if it does happen and so would few of my friends as they've spent a decent amount of money on high quality headphones.
--
Posted: 2016-05-19 14:17:42

I too would be pissed if they done away with the 3.5mm.
--
Posted: 2016-05-19 17:12:23

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

I do believe the iPhone has peaked, but that doesn't mean it will now drop. I think it will plateau for a few years and slowly shrink.

The whole dropping 3.5mm jack situation is going to be interesting, Apple are either isolating themselves into a bad corner in the long term OR they are going to make a killing... maybe a bit of both, short term they will make a ton, long term its a bad decision.
--
Posted: 2016-05-19 18:58:13

Apple removing the headphone jack for me at least is bigger than moving to the lighting cable. No doubt Apple will supply an adapter just like the 30 pin to lighting and charge £30 for the kit which will either infuriate customers or make Apple a ton more of cash. It really wouldn't surprise me if a lot of iPhone users make the switch to Android or even Windows Mobile.

I know there has even been a petition going around to stop Apple from making this move and apparently it's all in the name of making the phone thinner which to me is a big no no, I'd rather gain a MM or two and get a larger battery in there. I know iPhone CPU's are great for battery performance but why not have a large battery and an efficient CPU rather than either or.
--
Posted: 2016-05-19 20:05:02

iPhone sales fall 14 percent, smartphone market in flux says Gartner

Macworld Australia Staff
20 May, 2016

Gartner has reported that global sales of smartphones to end users totalled 349 million units in the first quarter of 2016, a 3.9 percent increase over the same period in 2015, but iPhone sales are taking a hit. Smartphone sales represented 78 percent of total mobile phone sales in the first quarter of 2016.

Smartphone sales were driven by demand for low-cost smartphones in emerging markets and for affordable 4G smartphones, led by 4G connectivity promotion plans by carriers across the world.

Oppo continues to grow. The Chinese company, fuelled by strong growth in its home market of China has moved into the number four position with unit sales growth of 145 percent. Along with Huawei and Xiaomi, Oppo took share from players such as Lenovo, Samsung and Yulong. Huawei saw strong smartphone demand in Europe, the Americas and Africa, while Xiaomi and Oppo saw their smartphone sales in emerging Asia/Pacific rise by 20 percent and 199 percent, respectively.

Apple had its first double-digit decline year on year, with iPhone sales down 14 percent despite their ‘upgrade program’ in the US, which sweetened deals on the iPhone 6s and 6s. Apple is exploring ways to resell second-hand iPhones coming through the program in emerging markets.

Lenovo disappeared from the top five smartphone vendor ranking as well as the top 10 mobile phone vendor market in the first quarter of 2016.

source:
http://www.macworld.com.au/ne[....]t-in-flux-says-gartner-142695/

Nice going Oppo!

cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: difenbaker on 2016-05-20 02:31 ]

--
Posted: 2016-05-20 03:29:41

14% is quite a big drop. Apple is such a strong position financially too.

Has the dropping of the 3.5mm jack been all but confirmed or is it just a strong rumour?
--
Posted: 2016-05-20 11:55:03

@Goldenface GSMarena have an exclusive on a render from a case manufacturer that all but confirms no 3.5mm jack.
http://m.gsmarena.com/exclusi[....]phone_7_renders-news-18307.php
--
Posted: 2016-05-20 12:35:00

On 2016-05-20 12:35:00, XperiaJunkie wrote:
@Goldenface GSMarena have an exclusive on a render from a case manufacturer that all but confirms no 3.5mm jack.
http://m.gsmarena.com/exclusi[....]phone_7_renders-news-18307.php

Bad move, imo.

--
Posted: 2016-05-21 03:24:14
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home