Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : General : Esato really need huge resuscitation
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Esato really need huge resuscitation Bookmark topic
Page <  123456>

carkitter Posts: > 500

On 2018-12-08 22:09:39, bahraini wrote:
well

Yes things changed , and things should change in Esato too.

Sony and Nokia are weak , but still not dead yet. when they die , still we can discuss other brands or technology.

Most of us came here cuz of SE, but as it's gone doesn't mean Esato shall go too.

For example , why the news section is not updates for about 3 years if not more?
if no one can do it , make it public and am sure many ppl will write and review .

It's funny, Esato changed a lot in its heyday. Playtime came and went, the camera competition was created, the review forum grew and grew and stickys were added constantly. Regional thread blossomed and the Esato awards grew to acknowledge the contributions of regular contributors. Esato was all about change, it reflected the mobile market which was the fastest changing industry on earth.

Trouble is, now the mobile industry is static and generic. There are only two operating systems, two charging systems, two app stores, there is only one form factor (the touchscreen tablet), one network technology (4G via SIM card), the focus has switched from the EU and Japan to the whims of Californian elites, and that has completely decimated the online community dynamic of the Esato forum. Instead of being multicultural - owners of Nokia, SE, Ericsson, Windows Mobile, Motorola, Alcatel, Philips, Siemens and Samsung devices coming together to meet and compare notes, online forums now reflect the adversarial nature of the mobile industry - iOS v Android, Samsung v Apple, walled garden v open source, and this has spilled out into discussion in the world at large. Witness the flame wars that instantly spring up in the comments on YouTube.

We all came here to find apps, themes, reviews, specifications and answers to questions but we stayed for the sense of belonging to the and Esato community. As usual, things grow as the they sense a need to improve, then the reach a peak of satisfaction where further change is resisted, after that a choice is required; change radically and evolve or carry on the same path all the way over the cliff edge. Esato is lying wrecked at the foot of the cliff, but it can be restored and set running again. It requires the community to come together around a central goal. Laffen and the moderators must define that.

The news section was managed superbly well by Axxxr. Unfortunately that came with strings attached where Laffen tolerated him posting his anti-American rhetoric. When he left, Masseur and Tranced stepped in to keep news going but neither was as in tune with the news cycle as Axxxr.

Just keep popping in daily and commenting/contributing and Esato will not die.
[ This Message was edited by: carkitter on 2018-12-10 18:29 ]

--
Posted: 2018-12-09 01:09:13
Edit : Quote

Aivar Posts: > 500

Carkitter wrote: Trouble is, now the mobile industry is static and generic. There are only two operating systems, two charging systems, two app stores, there is only one form factor (the touchscreen tablet), one network technology (4G via SIM card).

- - -

I must emphasise that there are more than one network technology. Not only 4G, but also 3G and still GSM as 2G. GSM is still very much used in the world.

Also there are more than one form factor. Not only touchscreen tablet, but many people still use classic button phones. And those phones have different operating systems.

PS. My everyday mobile phone is SonyEricsson K610i. It is more than 11,5 years old and it is still going with no problems.
--
Posted: 2018-12-10 13:32:58

carkitter Posts: > 500

By one network technology I meant that CDMA had died out. Now all phones use SIM cards.

The tablet form factor resists innovation in hardware design. The focus is on software features which are easily copied.
--
Posted: 2018-12-10 19:43:16

SilveR. Posts: > 500

This feels real nostalgi
I was very active early days, seems it was yesterday..
Good is my login info still work..
From sony Ericsson to iPhone and android, sadly is no more Sony phones
--
Posted: 2018-12-26 04:33:38

Geezay Posts: 316

I feel a bit sad too. This was a second home for me. To think 16 years have passed since I joined... I am quite happy to help keep it running either as a columnist or updating sections, housekeeping...
--
Posted: 2019-01-03 14:31:12

DSF Posts: > 500

I'm remembering that Esato was the reason I've bought a phone with internet (CSD, then later GPRS) in 2002, Ericsson R520m, my very first mobile phone.
I was fascinated by this mobile internet (very few WML sites avai back then, google, esato, mopilot being popular)..
Was rocking esato regularly in its glory times.
Was always impressed by esato features and laffen technicall skills (example: theme preview). A skilled developer for sure. But you need more than that to keep a project alive. You need a team, you cannot do it all alone. Plus you need to adapt (relaunch, etc)

Also I'm remembering masseur, won one of his game (he used to make games with prizes quite often).. was a very kind human being!

Esato will always take a place in my mind.
Hope the site will survive, at least for historical means!
--
Posted: 2019-01-18 14:12:06

McKinley Posts: > 500

So there is a strong will among the old members to keep Esato updated and running. What really prevent the slacking admins to hand over the responsibilities to someone more dedicated?
[ This Message was edited by: McKinley on 2019-01-19 02:18 ]

--
Posted: 2019-01-18 21:30:58

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

On 2019-01-18 21:30:58, McKinley wrote:
So there is a strong will among the old members to keep Esato updated and running. What really prevent the slacking admins to hand over the responsibilities to someone more dedicated?
[ This Message was edited by: McKinley on 2019-01-19 02:18 ]

Doesn't Laffen hold the key to everything?

If I am not mistaken he does not look at this forum anymore, the Forum is currently in autopilot at this point and the admins aren't able to do much.

As I understand it Laffen was the overarching manager of the forum and controlled the hosting etc... Of the website.
--
Posted: 2019-01-19 18:51:57

*Jojo* Posts: > 500

Helloooo here - again, People of the planet Earth. Back in the day, it was said that Laffen pays just to keep this site - running. Well, it's still operational to this day, April 7th 2021, but the owner NEVER visits on a regular basis anymore. Stay happy up there, my good old friend here, Masseur !
--
Posted: 2021-04-07 04:14:43

*Jojo* Posts: > 500

Missing OLD friends here (foreign friends and NOT the locals !!) @tranquil, @goldenface, @amawanqa, @bobafett, @REO, Nice people from India, I just forgot their names, missUK. Take care people, I hope we can OUTLIVE this covid-19 virus, it's been 2 years now.
--
Posted: 2021-04-07 04:20:16
Page <  123456>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home