Esato Mobile
General discussions : General : 3G/GSM phones
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > General > 3G/GSM phones Bookmark topic
oskar Posts: 173

As I have understood the things I've heard about the upcoming 3G phones they will be able to use both the 3G and the GSM network since the 3G coverage will be limited. At least the ones that will be released first.
Anybody who knows how this will work?
What if I choose a 3G network provider that does not also have a GSM network in my country?
--
Posted: 2002-03-27 16:20:00
Edit : Quote

n|ck_xp Posts: 363

First time i hear somthing like that but is possible.
In your country you have a provider who is 3G ready and is not GSM?
Or something like that is gonna be in the future when a new provider starts with 3G?
--
Posted: 2002-03-27 16:25:00

Cytech Posts: > 500

many phones will probably be like that... the speech will go over GSM and the datacommunication will go over UMTS. However, if you have a network operator that doesn't have a GSM network the speech can also go through UMTS so you are not all left out

--
Posted: 2002-03-27 16:31:00

Nokia's upcoming 3G phone that they showed for 5 sec. at CeBIT will, according to the Swedish magazine Mobil, be able to use both GSM and WCDMA/3G.

Right now I'm in Czech Republic and here there are no "new" operators for the 3G market, but when 3G is released I will be back in Sweden and there we will have for example Orange as an 3G operator, but they have no GSM network in Sweden.
--
Posted: 2002-03-27 16:32:00

Quote:
On 2002-03-27 16:31, Cytech wrote:

many phones will probably be like that... the speech will go over GSM and the datacommunication will go over UMTS. However, if you have a network operator that doesn't have a GSM network the speech can also go through UMTS so you are not all left out

But when the UMTS service starts the coverage will only be in the cities. (my guess)
--
Posted: 2002-03-27 16:34:00

jh67 Posts: > 500

The coverage-part (how many % of the country) was discussed, at least, here in Denmark, when the operators got the 3G (UMTS)-license.

The license state that they have to make sure, that the 3G network will cover xx % of the country within xx months. And also on "start-up".
I cant remeber the exact numbers/percentage,..but it was quite a lot.

Yes, Nokia showed a DUAL-MODE phone,..both gsm and Umts (3G).
They said something about a releasedate in september.

Jan

--
Posted: 2002-03-28 00:14:00

Super G Posts: > 500

Yes Nokia said the phone would be released/available in September, the 26th if I remember correctly.
Sonera said also its 3G network will be commercially open the same day.
--
Posted: 2002-03-28 14:51:00

Carajo Posts: 29

For Denmark and Sweden, if the 3G provider does not have 2G (GSM) system they will have a deal with a 2G (GSM) provider so that the subscribers when they leave the 3G (UMTS) area they will still have voice and packetswtich with GPRS. From a subscriber point of view they will not notice this, only a decrease in bit rates for the packet swtich services.

The 3G terminals (UE) need to be dual mode, so they support both UMTS and GSM (3G/2G), this will take some time the first terminals will be single mode (3G).

--
Posted: 2002-03-28 15:38:00

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home