Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : Wi-Max is the future for Cell Phone world
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > Wi-Max is the future for Cell Phone world Bookmark topic
Page12345>

shahzadkhan72 Posts: 10

Hello all,

There was a craze that everyone wanted to have Wi-Fi gadgets. Wi-Fi have served a long period of time and like any technology, it is time to say GOOD BYE to it.

As we all know that there are tons of draw backs in Wi-Fi. And our friends in IEEE working hard to find a new technology that can serve a better service with greater radius of coverage. Guess what? IEEE 802.16x was found. It's called "Wi-MAX"

Wi-Max provides you 34Mb/s over radius of 30 miles (~48KM).

The question to everyone is, let's focus on the future, i.e, disappearance of Wi-Fi and fading away of cell phone networks. Did I say cell phone networks? Yes, you read it correctly.

Crazy people like Cisco, if they can come up with IP Phone that is booming in enterprise networks, why can't they come up with an IP Cell Phone?? Well, I have nothing against Cisco. Actually, I admire them too much. My dream company!!

If I can provide you VoIP, Video streaming, chats, online gaming, browsing, connecting to Internet & extranet, and so on.... on a single piece of hardware that fits in your pocket. Wouldn't you still NOT go for it? I think, only few people will say no.

Well, I am here to give fruits of thoughts to cell phone manufactureres and big giants like Cisco to come up in utilizing Wi-Max technology, which the future.

Shahzad Khan

X Lucent employee
--
Posted: 2004-05-17 22:51:42
Edit : Quote

Jim Posts: > 500

This thing will use the 5 GHz band which isn't free/avaible (I might be wrong )
--
Posted: 2004-05-17 22:58:26

DungeonMaster Posts: 312

Wrong. Its free. Otherwise they would change band. To ten giga. This message was posted from a T610
--
Posted: 2004-05-17 23:01:20

You remember when Bill Gate went to Cell Phone exhibition 5 or 6 years back? It was a sign for cell phone manufacturers that Windows is coming for Cell Phones.... and voila... Windows Mobile (PocketPC) is kicking.

Last week, Microsoft said that they will not produce futher interfaces (software modules) for Wi-Fi interface. It means, they have realized that Wi-Fi is a dying technology.

A company like Microsoft will NOT take this major move it is well calculated.
--
Posted: 2004-05-18 00:11:30

wapchimp Posts: > 500

Intersting. But would this new type network carry voice aswell? and would they charge for the service
--
Posted: 2004-05-18 00:14:42

definitely OrangeMan....
remember Voice Over IP (VoIP) that was about to die few years back but now it is catching up again.
Voice can be provided through any means, VoIP, VoS, VoATM, etc

In simple words, don't we do voice chat from our PCs? Of course we do, if we can do it from our PCs, then we can do it from our IP Cell Phone.
--
Posted: 2004-05-18 00:17:35

wapchimp Posts: > 500

So you reckon this will kill gsm/edge/wcdma networks then? What are the data speeds it can offer and how would networks compete if its all on the same frequency.
--
Posted: 2004-05-18 00:24:45

kimcheeboi Posts: > 500

This seems like something i want to look into!!
--
Posted: 2004-05-18 01:04:00

fu1at Posts: 325

Wi-Max called UWB(Ultra Wide Brand) in others terms. u can get more info from Intel related side.

anyway... it's in thier testing edge and they are working on the security.

if this works, not only Wi-Fi will be face out. i believe bluetooth as well.
--
Posted: 2004-05-18 05:03:02

For more information, please look at the link below:

http://wirelessman.org/
--
Posted: 2004-05-18 07:57:07
Page12345>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index