Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : my initial thoughts of the T630
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > my initial thoughts of the T630 Bookmark topic
hoi Posts: 10

Hi all,

I've had my T630 for just over a week and felt I'd post some initial thought for it. this should help those who are unsure whether to get it or not.

Well for most I reckon you'd be more interested in the BAD points.

As there is no 'perfect' phone on the market - this one has it's flaws.

For me the one thing that I have found to be most frustrating thing is its reception. I'm not sure if it's the network I'm on (t-mobile) or the phone. But since my friend is also on T-mobile, I've figured out its the phone (he has the Nokia 7250) In certain areas below and high up above ground, the signal fluctuates between no signal to about mid strength. I've still got my Orange on a Sagem myx-5 and in these areas the strength is always maxed out or at worse mid signal. This I feel is really annoying especially as it's in Central London areas.

Next, has to be the fact that it has a pathetic amount of memory. It's almost useless. With no option to increase this may well prove a problem for some users. I deleted some of the tones, wallpapers and themes to make more room. Its a good thing the T630 has a good number of options for connectivity. With a large number of sites offering free goodies it isn't too bad to experiemtn. My problem is I'd like to get snapshots and use some to add to numbers. Along with this I'd like to add appointments, etc and I think you get the picture now (Sony Ericsson take NOTE - there is simply not enough memory!)

The other negative aspect is its inability to play wave files for ringtones. I can't see why this isn't possible on this phone as it's perfectly capable of recording and playing back sound (as a voice recorder). On my Sagem myx-5 it had the 'hi-fi' capability and I guess I've been spoilt, but felt Sony Ericsson could have made use of this function- guess it's all down to the fact wave files consume more space and SE doesn't want to supply more memory to accomodate that.

Another annoying thing is that I accidentally pressed the interactive key (or the T-zone) key on this one which connects to the wap service. Its a good thing it takes time to dial in andI can cancel, otherwise I'd have a pretty big bill! The problem is that you can't modify/disable the key. I haven't found out how yet, but if anyone knows I'd appreciate it. Pressing up on the control stick or the button on the side activates the connection.

Well on the plus side there are many things going for it. I am still trying to work through all the different options available and finding some interesting tool all the time. Pne of the main + points is that you'll notice it has a vibrant screen. The image is clear & bright. Some people had problems with the T610 when using outdoors and to be honest I was using this outdoors on a very sunny day and found I had trouble seeing the screen. To be honest I think with any screen you'll have trouble in daylight/sunshine. Still the quality of the screen is like A+.

Another thing I noticed about this phone was the extremely good battery life. I had it on for nearly 4 days standby with regular usage (playing with options, transfering stuff by infrared and making/reeiving some phonecalls (about 50 mins in total), This is quite amazing.

The ringer was loud and clear and as mentioned above I felt it could of had the option of hi-fi ringtones.

Th navigation stick was great, after getting used to it its easy to use. I was worried I'd press the button whilst selecting, but this only happened on the first few days. now I's only slip occasionally.

For some people they have mentioned a time lag when writing and sending SMS, to be honest I haven't found this to be annoying (yet). I'm not sure how this may be affected when my SMS box becomes full or as I become more used to it.

To Summarise

+ Extremely good battery life
+ Fantastic screen
+ Loud and clear ringer
+ Lightweight and compact
+ Good navigation stick and simple menu system to use
+ Sony Ericsson has supplied a CD with software to modify pictures to fit the screen. Plus theres some other tools which I haven't used yet.

- Poor signal/recption
- Pathetic amount of memory
- No wave option for ringtone
- No option to disable interactive service

As I said I'm still learning some of the features and finding new stuff (some I won't be using!) but this is just a few early thoughts.

I'm still a bit p***ed off about the signal/reception thing and a little about the memory but overall it's a solid little phone with features coming out like no tomorrow. There are many more plus points, but I know I usually read up about the bad points first.

Just make sure you get yourself a Krusell case, its absolutely fantastic!
-
--
Posted: 2004-07-22 03:39:12
Edit : Quote

plasmadog Posts: > 500

hi,
i've been using the t 630 a couple of months now.
and i largely agree with you on the reception quality. its below par for sure. maybe a firmware upgrade might work.

memory is really low for sure. but one way of bypassing this is to send photos that i've clicked to my email using mms. (4 me, outgoing mms is free so...) and that frees up space for other stuff like ringtones and stuff.

yeah, the inability to play wav files as ringtones is annoying.
but, overall its quite a good deal i think.
you will be happy with it, i hope.
cheers
--
Posted: 2004-07-22 07:54:55

BobaFett Posts: > 500

Same weird reception here, i am on t-mobile in hungary. This message was posted from a T630
--
Posted: 2004-07-22 08:49:43

etaab Posts: > 500

You should have got a K700i instead, it solves everything you mentioned in your bad points.
--
Posted: 2004-07-22 12:42:34

The 2mb isnt a point to blame, its a fact u cannot change, the reception is a faulty indeed. This message was posted from a T630
--
Posted: 2004-07-22 14:06:17

For me its the best se: nice screen, comfortable keypad, the batt could be better, but it depends on individual usage, the my friends feature is a nice idea if u like to chat, the cam is ok for fun, many features and huge support in wallpapers, thms, games etc This message was posted from a T68i
--
Posted: 2004-10-21 09:08:20

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home