Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : Tested: DeLock USB Bluetooth Class1
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > Tested: DeLock USB Bluetooth Class1 Bookmark topic
tranquil Posts: > 500

USB Bluetooth Class 1
(Product no: 61287)

(I’ve originally written this review for the Norwegian site http://www.carputer.no but though it would be of some relevance to members of Esato as well.)

The latest in Bluetooth, for private use, is class 1. With it’s radius of 100 metres it gives us an opportunity to take advantage of the features more easily and the danger of loosing the connection is dramatically reduced compared to the 10 metres Bluetooth dongles. A person blocking the “view” is often all it takes. Class 1 eliminates this in the areas most people will choose to use a Bluetooth dongle.

Expectations were high when the package was opened up and this little blue device was lying on the table in front of me. “100 metres is nothing to joke about!” I thought and inserted the CD and installed the software.
The disappointment was, if possible, even higher when everything was installed and looked ready for my first test of the unit; “Radio Licence Certificate Missing”???!!!
Since the dongle was sent directly from Germany my first thought was that German law required a special licence to be able to use a Bluetooth unit with a range of 100 metres. A quick phone call to DeLock in Germany proved my worries wrong; “Hast du Service Pack zwei innstaliert?” Aber doch!!! Problem solved; a separate file on the CD had to be opened and activated for SP2. All my radio-communication-licence-worries were history!
To check that this actually was a “Plug and Play”-unit, as promised on the box, I installed the DeLink on a PC without SP2; the box was right! Straight in, SMACK! up and running!
A new icon, in the bottom right corner of the screen, indicates the status of the DeLock;
Red: Not connected
White: Connected but not active
Green: Active

I ran a series of tests: File transfer, compatibility, speed and distance limitations.

File transfer
Connected my lap top up to my PC. Physical obstructions was a 25 cm thick ceiling, distance was about 5 metres. (The old 10 metres dongle could not communicate with my phone through this ceiling)
Sent a few pictures and files to the unit without any problems but realised it’s a bit more demanding to send from the unit; the files need to be copied in to a dedicated folder in the Bluetooth programme. Easy when you figure it out but a bit surprising that sending is not as easy as receiving.
Anyway: A 52MB file took just over 45 seconds.

Compatibility
A variety of phones and a 10 metre dongle was connected to the DeLock.
All of them was found by the DeLock and was as easy to pair as the menus in the phones allowed and the 10 metre dongle was accepted without unnecessary codes.
A full sync of a P910 took about 3 minutes.

Distance limitations
This test was easily preformed with the help of the built in remote control in a S700 and the lap top’s Windows Media Player. The media player was opened with the S700 and controlled all the features the phone allowed. Change of track, volume control and a lot more.
I didn’t find a single spot in my 120 square metre terrace house where I was out of range for the DeLock. Not until I went 60 metres up the road did the connection disappear. (By then it was getting awfully difficult to see the lap top as well…)
One thing that had me worried with this 100 metre dongle was external “noise”.
Previously I’ve experienced that heavy vehicles interfered two communicating units. The DeLock showed no sign of this even when a lorry passed me whilst doing the distance test with the S700.

Conclusion
For a home office and a network this DeLock is both easy to use and safe when you think of losing the connection between the units. Speed and reliability is excellent and can be compared with a good cable connection.
For use in a Carputer I’d say this is the best alternative. The risk of losing connection is, more or less, eliminated, and, if configured right and the power is on, transferring films and MP3 files from the house to the car would go like a dream.

Specifications:
Interface: USB V1.1
Frequency: 2.400-2.4835 GHz
Reception sensitivity: max. 80dBm
Data-transfer: 723 kbps
Bus powered (5VDC from host)
Bluetooth-range: 100 Meter
Bluetooth-Specification: class 1
Chipset CSR
File Transfer, DUN, LAN Access, SerialPort
Active Sync, OBEX, Fax, HID

System requirements:
IBM compatible PC
Operation-system: Win98SE/ME/2000/XP
1 available USB-Port

Esato Shop

[ This Message was edited by: tranquil on 2004-11-26 00:02 ]
--
Posted: 2004-11-26 01:00:00
Edit : Quote

masseur Posts: > 500

nice review and great pics.

This looks like a very well specified bluetooth dongle though I can't say I have ever heard of the company
--
Posted: 2004-11-26 17:09:39

p900 lover Posts: > 500

were can i get one of these?
--
Posted: 2004-11-27 17:49:32

They are for sale on www.carputer.no for 350NKr/£32/€43.2 +postage.

I have good connections to that site so send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

--
Posted: 2004-11-28 09:39:43

thanks mate, pm'd you

[ This Message was edited by: p900 lover on 2004-11-28 12:58 ]
--
Posted: 2004-11-28 13:42:22

SnowBear Posts: > 500

i got another BT dongel but the same cd ...

--
Posted: 2004-11-28 14:33:10

I need to add something here that I found out yesterday;
If you decide to purcase one of these it is very important that you allways use the same USB-port.
If you by mistake plug it in the wrong one Microsoft's own driver over writes the DeLock one and you'll have to reinstall it. Not much of a job but terrably annoying.
--
Posted: 2004-12-01 08:50:03

thats cool but i just want to know is if i have limited usb port can i take it out us it for somthing else and then replace it to the same port????
--
Posted: 2004-12-04 13:59:19

Yes, that is no problem at all.
Btw; have you got yours yet?
--
Posted: 2004-12-15 22:13:20

cool, yuo thanks mate, got mine 2 days ego i think, have been very bussy latly so i just got it instaled. it works great and thats 4 the MS holder, comes in really handy.
--
Posted: 2004-12-16 00:08:20

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home