Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : 7600 Review
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > 7600 Review Bookmark topic
amnesia Posts: > 500

Well I thought why not review it.

Ok, after bad luck with the A1000 and the E1000, I decided to forget Onestopphoneshop and tell them to get lost.
I stepped into Carphonewarehouse (which have the updated LG phone now "the 8130") and said, I want a phone for the minutes, and I dont want an LG, since I've got two and the battery sucks, what can you give me?
My eyes wandere pass the 7600, naturally.
I always said to myself, I HATE this phone! I'm never going to buy it (and I didn't) but I got it for free and I can't complain.
The deal I got was the phone for free and 750 minutes a month and 150 sms for 9 pounds! OR 500 minutes and 100 sms for 5 pounds. I chose the higher tarrif.

I should mention that this phone does not have VIDEO calling. Some may ask, "what's the use of a 3g phone if it doesn't have video calling?" Well there are a number of reasons, you can still watch the streams and in my case, I simply wanted the minutes.

So here we go:

Specs:
29 MB internal memory, Dualband, UMTS, does not support memory cards and has one camera (a VGA)
Screen: 65K screen
System: Series 40 (45)
Sound: Dual Speakers
Connectivity: Bluetooth, Cable, IR, GPRS.

I apologize if the pictures are a bit blurry.
What you get:

In the box you get the battery, a headset (which looks great, like an iPod heaset), a Sync CD, Sync cable, charger, battery cover, a nice manual, a little sleeve case, and a handstrap.

The CD includes the typical sync and apps that come with a nokia.

So after putting the phone together, I switched it on and immediately noticed that the phone didn't animate as it switched on. This could only mean that it runs on the old Series 60 symbian system. There's no problem really, just the fact that you cant have themes on it. (there are apps that can allow you to do that though)

Below are a few pics of the phone.

Note: The small button on the left is for the power. The right is for the camera.

Note: Notice the pop port.

Note: In order from left to right. IR, Volume buttons, Recorder button.

To be honest, the phone may look bulky, but it's not that bad. It doesn't feel very nice at first to hold when talking but you get used to it. Browing however feels great thanks to the soft buttons and the d pad.

Sound Quality on the phone is alright. To be honest, it sounds a bit week unless on max volume. Could be better in my opinion.

Video:
As with almost all nokias on a series 60 it plays 3gpp and real files.

Thankfully, this is the only 3 phone without any branding at all. Not bad!
Oh, I should mention that there is a little Three icon on the menu that directly links to the 3 garden BUT you can remove it in the settings! Nice little touch.

Organizer
Exactly as any series 60 system.
Calendar, tasks, notes, alarms, timer, stopwatch, record sound, calculator and code memo
As mentioned previously, there is also any easy SYNC feature.

Phonebook
A basic phonebook that shows the names of the people, you can have the thumbnail show if you want.

Pros
Easy to change settings.
Well built (if a bit plasticky).
Feels nice
No branding.
Good screen.
Very good battery life for a three phone.

Cons
100 MB cap on free content
only 29mb memory with no expansion
3 garden is slow at times.
65k (but people can live with it)

The phone is not bad, it's growing on me. What attacts me the most is the deal. If you want a phone for the minutes, streaming, dont care about video calls, and want a 3g phone with good talk time go with this!

If anyone has any questions please let me know! I'll be happy to answer!

A few sites for ordering include
http://www.carphonewarehouse.co.uk
http://www.three.co.uk
http://www.nokia.com

note: P P after each other shouldn't show the pp face!

or Try Oxygen Inc. or Aqua-Side Oxygen-X

[ This Message was edited by: amnesia on 2004-12-03 11:35 ]
--
Posted: 2004-12-02 21:39:08
Edit : Quote

Stinger151 Posts: > 500

The nokia 7600 is series 40 not 60 and its not symbian.
I think am i right?
--
Posted: 2004-12-02 22:41:22

blayv Posts: > 500

It's not fair!
How can you get such a good deal?
I pay almost as you are, but I did not get any phone with contract.

--
Posted: 2004-12-02 22:53:57

amnesia Posts: > 500

must've been luck....

and Ahdam, you're right, I typed that by mistake. Thanks for the heads up (it's Series 45 to be specific according to ZDnet
--
Posted: 2004-12-02 23:04:01

no problem, got a nokia 7600 great phone apart from not having expandable memory but i have been told there is a way of expanding memory but this involves opening up the phone and swaping the Internal memory card for a bigger memory card.
--
Posted: 2004-12-02 23:11:27

vladichelsea Posts: 50

i got one 7600 already half a year ago and can agree with you: its a good phone if you use it just for talking. sms is no go because of the keyboard and no videocalling because doesnt have second camera. battery is good (3 days) and gets even better when you unlock the phone and keep it permanently locked to 2G (4-5days).

just one question: how long videos can you record? its only 10sec on mine, but my friends one records 30sec. any idea?
--
Posted: 2004-12-04 05:49:00

50Cent Posts: > 500

i belive you can change an option in the settings, from "10 seconds" to "30 seconds" or "unlimited" i think.

Rgds
--
Posted: 2004-12-04 10:15:26

Ayush Posts: > 500

If it's series 45 then how is it a smart phone?! This message was posted from a T610
--
Posted: 2004-12-04 10:54:03

I think on the newer nokia 7600s you can record up to 50 mins but only if u have enough memory.All you have to do is go to video settings then go to video length and select maximum.
Minimum recording is 10 secs well for me anyways.
--
Posted: 2004-12-04 13:43:49

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home