Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : V800/3G signal strength
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > V800/3G signal strength Bookmark topic
TeeEss Posts: 25

I think I've got my head around this, but I am sat at home in an area that isn't supposed to be covered at all by Vodafone 3G yet, yet my V800 has a full 5 bar signal and has the little 3G icon on the meter showing I have 3G signal.

My question is; does this mean I am connected to a full 3G base station, and so do actually have a full 3G signal, or does it mean I'm connected to a 2G base station, but am at least within range of a 3G signal? With GPRS if you had a good signal, you had good GPRS reception.

The reason I ask is twofold; first as I mentioned above, I'm not supposed to be covered at all here, and second, when I download stuff I'm only getting about 5K/s, and also streaming video is choppy bordering on hopeless (this implies to me it's only using GPRS).

I'm not sure how UMTS works - whether you have existing 2G base stations, and then 3G-only base stations dotted around them, or whether you have the existing 2G base stations with 3G bolted on, and then various other 2G/3G base stations to cover the areas 3G couldn't reach, or do you have a combination of the two, with the upgraded 2G/3G base stations, with 3G-only stations to cover the gaps?

Too many questions!!! Hopefully someone can clear it up for me... )
--
Posted: 2004-12-12 02:14:56
Edit : Quote

voda_jon Posts: > 500

Hi this is how Vodafone are setting up their 3G network.

Within high data use areas we are trying to locate new sites to locate 3G only transmitters. If this isnt viable we then update the previous cell to accomodate the 3G data. In your circumstances u may be showing a 3G signal but the cell may not be fully 3G active. This is caused when we are running tests on the new sites before we switch them on.

Unlike 2.5G cells, the 3G ones get smaller the more users we have on them. On the coverage site we show the smallest area the cell covers. If no1 is using that cell it will have a larger area which would then cover where u live. I have the same problem where i shouldnt have any 3G coverage but seem to pick up full signal sometimes.

Hope this helps, if not pm me.
--
Posted: 2004-12-12 18:02:54

TeeEss Posts: 25

Thanks for your reply.

However, it's just me being stupid - I've not got 3G access at all as it turns out. After travelling today to Slough, I noticed a nice little 3G icon appear, next to the signal strength, *in addition* to the G icon, which I now realise is just the indicator for GPRS access. All the streams and things off Vodafone Live are now smooth and lovely.

D'oh! :embarrassed:

EDIT: Bizarrely though, although I had access on the way to the office here, I don't seem to have 3G access inside the building. Are the UMTS frequencies a lot more susceptible to physical barriers? I guess they are, as they're up around 2GHz rather than 900MHz.

[ This Message was edited by: TimmyRaa on 2004-12-13 10:02 ]
--
Posted: 2004-12-13 10:55:30

sevastos Posts: 105

We shouldn't forget that the 3G network is still under development. Here in Greece I was walking while using the 3G services and after 30-40 meters there was no 3G signal!!! I think that in a few moths there will be 3G coverage everywhere, in every country, just like the GSM network... Until then...patience!
--
Posted: 2004-12-13 11:44:22

Vlammetje Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2004-12-13 10:55:30, TimmyRaa wrote:
Are the UMTS frequencies a lot more susceptible to physical barriers?

I do not know if that will be the case once the networks are fully built and at full strength, but at it's current strength it is definitely hindered by physical barriers. Example: I have always had perfect GSM and GPRS signal in the subway, but up until now no 3G signal at all once under ground
--
Posted: 2004-12-13 12:27:41

voda_jon Posts: > 500

in reply to barriers... yes and a big yes it is... if u check the vodafone websites coverage check it only shows general coverage yet if u contact vodafone either in store or customer services they will tell u if u have indoor and outdoor coverage.... I.e. Vodafone covers 60% outdoor coverage yet only around 45% indoor coverage...

I can get 3G in my garden or hanging from a window yet in my room i cant get it.... its a bugger an hopefully the site will b updated soon but until then jus visit ur nearest store for coverage checks.
--
Posted: 2004-12-16 23:53:42

Aivar Posts: > 500

3G (UMTS/WCDMA) mobile system has the worst coverage and penetration as it works at 2000-2100 MHz. The higher the MHz the poorer is penetration and smaller (narrower) the coverage.

So, GSM 900 has and will have much better coverage and penetration.

--
Posted: 2005-01-25 17:35:59

dave_uk Posts: > 500

Doesn't that rather depend on the number of cell sites in a particular area? Whilst the signal from a single site will not carry as far, increasing the number of sites should even this out (i.e. Orange in the UK, who operate on 1800MHz, but simply have more cell sites than any other network, and therefore one of the best coverages.

Although, in rural areas, where there are less sites, I suppose networks operating on lower frequencies would have better coverage.
--
Posted: 2005-01-25 17:44:58

HyperiaBlue Posts: 424

Guys i did a detailed explaination in this thread:

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=81310&start=15

Hope this clears some questions.
--
Posted: 2005-01-25 18:06:27

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index