Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : vid calling on EDGE
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > vid calling on EDGE Bookmark topic
Page12>

julioinocencio Posts: 26

Is it possible to make a video call on an EDGE network? a post here stated that gprs can handle vid calling but it will not be smooth as compared to the UMTS network. So is it possible? since edge is faster than gprs, i figured it would improve the fluidity of video calls.
--
Posted: 2004-12-17 15:19:05
Edit : Quote

scotsboyuk Posts: > 500

@julioinocencio

I suppose that it is possible in theory, but it depends on whether or not your network chooses to implement such a feature. If there are plans for them to introduce 3G then I would very much doubt that they would. There is alse the point that video calls use up more bandwidth than standard voice calls, making them more expensive for the networks to implement. If their is little demand in the market for a service, which is more expensive than normal then it seems doubtful that the networks would choose to feature it.
--
Posted: 2004-12-17 20:11:21

voda_jon Posts: > 500

hi. just before placing a bid for their 3G license voda had a small set of transmitters upgraded to EDGE to see if the benefits outweighed the cost of the 3G license... although we were able to make and recieve calls on both GPRS and EDGE the images were choppy and of not too good quality... The quality that 3G enables us to send is much better so the decision was made not to move onto EDGE.

Hope this clears that one.
--
Posted: 2004-12-17 21:20:45

@voda_jon

I suppose that it might have been a bad move, in a business sense, to implement EDGE when all of Vodafone's competitors were commited to 3G.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2004-12-21 21:09 ]
--
Posted: 2004-12-17 21:30:16

voda_jon Posts: > 500

yep. it would be like offering a semi-colour TV. It shows certain colours but not all of them... (edge) whereas 3G would be full glorius colour and 2g would be black and white with a hint of colour (2.5g)
--
Posted: 2004-12-21 21:03:04

@vodafone

Indeed, EDGE isn't a technology we are likely to see in Western Europe.
--
Posted: 2004-12-21 22:10:07

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

Really? Well here in Canada Rogers Wireless does have Edge with video calling if fones support it. Quality is in the size of data stream: video codec and frames per sec. Example is watching QuickTime streams, at 384kbps or faster. And u Will see Edge in Europe, as the quality me service is better handoff from 3G to Edge than 2 gprs, plus Edge gives a wider coverage than 3G increasing bandwidth in existing gprs licence! Look up geran on Ericsson sites 4 tech!
--
Posted: 2005-02-04 23:44:00

@Prom1

I disagree, EDGE is extremely unlikely to be implemented in Western Europe in the near future. The mobile networks have invested billions in their 3G networks and it would seem highly unlikely that they would choose to implement a rival technology.

To use the UK as an example, 3G coverage is expanding very quickly and many people have already signed up. 3 already has 80% network coverage, two years ahead of schedule.

EDGE is limited in terms of 'future proofing' and the networks are already looking towards 3.5G, which will soon be trialled on the Isle of Man.

3G is almost certainly the future as far as Western Europe is concerned.
--
Posted: 2005-02-05 00:06:10

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

Isle of Man is already trialing at 3megabytes per second! But look at how small the coverage will be! Does Vodafone use Ericsson towers? If so then its Not a competing tech, please look on Ericssons site. However if you can travel from London to Munich on 3G seamless handoff, then i believe that Edge works in hand with 3G. But what do i know i live in Canada.
--
Posted: 2005-02-05 06:10:00

brix25 Posts: > 500

In South Africa one of the networks(MTN) decided to go with EDGE and eventually launch 3G in June. This message was posted from a T68i
--
Posted: 2005-02-05 06:36:09
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home