Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : NEC c616v
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > NEC c616v Bookmark topic
djpowelly Posts: > 500

Review of the "3" NEC c616v, by djpowelly

I've always had a bit of a thing for black phone, and always wanted t spray a decient cover black for my Sagem MyV-65.

I wandered into the "3" shop yesterday and saw the NEC c616v - the black version of the e616v. A couple of my mates had the e616, and rated it quite highly for the price, forgeting the little software problems. Aparently though, all these had been solved in the c616v, and also (I quote the "3" guy in the shop) "It has a better camera". They were selling like hot cakes. I went into my store yesterday without money, went back this morning with money and they had all been sold out - apart from mine

I haven't yet got any pictures of the phone its self, becuase I don't have another camera to hand, but i'll do some later on in the week. Also, i can't seem to be able to find a picture of one on the net... bit strange! I'll also do a comparason of the cameras - to see if it is true.

The Box it massive - i mean massive - a bit big for the phone maybe ("what a waste of packaging" I can hear my Graphics teacher saying in my head ) In the box you get everything-
- Phone (of course!)
- 2x Batteries (one high capacity one - which is big and fat, and one middleish capacity one which is alot smaller!)
- "3" Pay as you go SIM card (thats going straight in the bin once I get it unlocked!)
- USB Cable for connecting it to the PC
- Disk with all software and drivers on it
- Loads'a book to read on "3" services and the phone itself etc.
- Charger (its pretty nifty actually, becuase you can plug the phone into it, and also charge the other battery at the same time!)
- Handsfree kit thing (a wired one) - you can listen to MP3's out of it too

The Phone

When closed, it actually isnt that big, a comfortable size for your pocket, though i wouldn't wear it round my neck like I did with my /// T39m. On top of the flip is the loud speaker - which is actually quite good for the phone. It's pretty loud, and pretty good quality. Also, it has some terrible "3" logo on the top that you can't get off... its not a sticker . The screen shows all vitals - battery life, internet status, 3G status, normal signal, date, day and time. It shows whos calling (when someone calls ) and also the time of the song or video playing. On the bottom is the camera, the light and a small light that turns on when someone calls, or when charging.

On the left side of the phone are the volume buttons, headphone socket - a 2.5mm one, and the charger and USB hole!

On the right side of the phone is the Memory Stick Duo slot. All of the holes are covered by plastic covers, which do their job of protecing!

Technical Details:
- Networks: 900/1800 (i think) and UTMS
- Screens: Outside - Monochrome (Purple and White), with white backlight and Inside: 65k Colour Screen
- Memory: Approx. 19MB internal and Memory Stick Duo: up to 128MB Expandable
- Cameras: Outside: 640x480 VGA, with camera light and Internal: 352x288 CIFF (i think!), both with qualities: Economic, Normal and Fine.

Here are some pictures taken with the outside camera: NB. There wernt the best lighting conditions, and i left the focus at normal for testing.

This is a picture taken in Economic Mode

This is a picture taken in Normal Mode

This ia a picture taken in High Quality Mode

This is a photo taken without the camera light in a very low lighting area

This is a photo taken with the camera light in a very low lighting area.

This is a picture taken with the internal camera - just to give a comparson. It was very hard to get the photo exactly where i wanted it so sorry

- The menu and interface is easy enough to use, you can move files about and so on. As normal you can't move stuff you downloaded on "3"s internet.

PC Software

Not really the best piece of software in the world, but it does its job well. Its easy enough to use, pretty self explanitory. The only thing that is a bit hard is the driver installing, goes a on a bit... but worth it in the end

Ill add some more pictures when I get home!

Thanks

djpowelly
--
Posted: 2004-12-21 21:14:59
Edit : Quote

Leks Posts: > 500

Gratz to your new phone
And here is a pic of the 2 versions

--
Posted: 2004-12-21 22:14:27

axxxr Posts: > 500

I do prefer the black one compared to the silver....The Black one just looks a lot more elegant!

--
Posted: 2004-12-21 22:21:11

djpowelly Posts: > 500

Yes @axxxr, i agree, i didnt like the look of the silver one, but I had to have the black one
--
Posted: 2004-12-21 22:47:00

The_Nashy Posts: 134

A mate of mine has the Silver one, I'm not sure if we have the black one here in AU.

Very nice isn't it.
--
Posted: 2005-01-31 04:08:54

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home