Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : 3G Pricing
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > 3G Pricing Bookmark topic
Page123>

scotsboyuk Posts: > 500

Does anyone else think that the current price of downloading ringtones, wallpapers, etc is too high? I think that £1.50 for a wallpaper is rediculous, 25p would be a more suitable price. I know the networks and content providers have to make some money out of downloads, but they would almost certainly make a lot more money if they lowered their prices as more people would download more content more often.
--
Posted: 2004-12-30 23:23:14
Edit : Quote

SsTiTcH Posts: 173

Yes its outrageous what networks charge for downloads.. Luckily theres plenty of sites to get themes..games .. ringtones etc. for free.. Bloody network already makes a mint off my international calling..mms and sms..why shud i pay em more for stuff i can get free.. This message was posted from a K700i
--
Posted: 2004-12-30 23:29:22

parsnip Posts: 386

Stupid 3 walled garden This message was posted from a WAP device
--
Posted: 2004-12-30 23:32:55

Having had experience of both 3 and Vodafone's 3G services, I can say that neither of them are particuarly cheap when it comes to downloads. 3's news clips are only 25p each, which is quite reasonable in my opinion.

If the networks want to recoup the cost of their 3G licenses they will have to lower their prices to motivate people to buy their content.
--
Posted: 2004-12-31 00:25:10

Vlammetje Posts: > 500

Voda tv is 25 eurocent for 15 minutes (or for any portion of 15 minutes) but rumour has it prices will increase to 2 or 3 euro er 15 minutes in Feb 2005.

Now that is toooooo expensive imho
--
Posted: 2004-12-31 12:58:09

amnesia Posts: > 500

i just dont understand network pricing anymore
--
Posted: 2004-12-31 17:06:02

I don't think we shall see lower prices until 3G has been better established and has more customers. More advanced features should help to reduce prices further as older features e.g. ringtones come down in price.
--
Posted: 2004-12-31 17:31:40

Sammy_boy Posts: > 500

To be honest, I'm going to stay put on 2G until the pricing on their data and internet services come down, more networks have a 3G service up and running (therefore more competition), and the signals are much, MUCH better. Where I live, I can just about get a 3G signal on 3, Orange and Voda forget it at the moment!

Apparently Voda don't do it, but I'm hoping the practice of ringfencing you into that particular network's services and not letting you out to other sites (e.g. Esato) has to stop too, so people can make full use of the faster download speeds and access other sites too
--
Posted: 2004-12-31 17:37:53

@Sam

I imagine that we shall see a great improvement in 3G over the next year, not just in terms of infrastructure, but also in terms of the services provided to customers.

The ring-fencing approach of 3 will almost certainly have to end if they want to remain competitive, they will loose customers if they don't. 3 are gaining customers by massively undercutting their competitors, not through their data services. Once 3's data services become a dominant factor in customer acquisition they will have to reconsider their ring-fencing approach and pricing levels.
--
Posted: 2004-12-31 17:56:12

voda_jon Posts: > 500

The pricing on Vodafone Live! comes from many different things... The first one is obviously profit... but u also have to take into consideration things like developers costs, hosting costs (even vodafone have to pay for hosting a LOT of files), publishers fees, and royalties to the people who make the content... There is also the associated cost in keeping the service working and up to date every day...

Vodafone are slowly starting to offer more for your money with things like free sports, news, weather info and downloads on the new 3G price plans and half price ringtones and other good offers every now and then.

Once the general public start using the services a lot more then the prices in turn will come down as well...

i gotta go now coz the roof on ma shed is bein blown down the street!!!
--
Posted: 2005-01-09 00:15:22
Page123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home