Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : Turn off UMTS - Z1010
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > Turn off UMTS - Z1010 Bookmark topic
Page12>

gombul Posts: 3

For a couple of weeks I've had 3 little blue discs show up in the top left of my screen (also on front screen). I spoke to optus and they said to contact Sony Ericsson to find out how to turn it off since it may be draining my batteries.

Sony Ericsson tech support didn't know how to turn it off and my batteries do seem to be draining quickly. Does anyone know how to get rid of this icon? I believe it is the UMTS icon.
--
Posted: 2005-05-03 05:48:04
Edit : Quote

Qoastro Posts: 447

It's the UMTS sign. It shows that you have UMTS signal. The thing you have to do to get rid of it is to not use a UMTS-sim card. And btw that little thing does not drain battery. The battery in the Z1010 ain't that good.
--
Posted: 2005-05-03 20:28:28

But why has it only just appeared in the last few weeks? I've had the phone for almost a year. Could Optus have installed some new infrastructure or something?
--
Posted: 2005-05-04 00:05:23

BobaFett Posts: > 500

It drains only in 2g area the battery, cos the fone search constantly for 3g. Weird, why se didnt put an option to turn off umts, if it is. This message was posted from a WAP device
--
Posted: 2005-05-04 00:36:57

Apparently older SIM cards require more voltage. So if you have an old SIM card it may have compatibility issues with new phones that use less voltage. I'm not sure if this will solve the problem but it has been recommended I replace my 5 year old SIM card.
--
Posted: 2005-05-04 07:07:40

Dragonfly_TP Posts: > 500

there is not something like a 3g simcard or a 2g simcard, Able to use umts (3g) depends on hardware. there is one exeption though and that is "3"
for example, I have here a "Libertel" simcard. Libertel is now vodafone for some years. The sim itself has 8kb memory and is first connected in 1997. This sim works fine in a V800 and on umts.

can you manualy search for new networks in the z1010? then you should find a 3g network and 2g network. Choose 2g and leave it on manual.

[ This Message was edited by: Dragonfly_TP on 2005-05-04 06:42 ]
--
Posted: 2005-05-04 07:41:22

CybaCowboy Posts: 314

All of Australia's networks have 3G networks in place in major cities (mostly Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane at this stage)...

In theory, if you're not subscribed to 3G service, the phone should ONLY operate in 2G mode (ie. you shouldn't see the three blue circles/3G icon); I use vodafone in MY Z1010 and it stays in 2G mode.
--
Posted: 2005-05-07 11:45:14

As you may or may not be aware, 4 of Australia's 6 upcoming 3G networks (3G Investments, a subsidiary of Qualcomm; CKW Wireless, a subsidiary of ArrayComm; 3, a subsidiary of Hutchison; Optus, a subsidiary of SingTel; Telstra and Vodafone) will be sharing networks; two physical networks, four companies; this is a world-first (I think this is a stupid idea, but the industry disagrees)!
--
Posted: 2005-05-07 11:53:13

All four networks ARE operating, but only one is available to the public ("3").

Although you can't actually USE Optus' 3G network, you may find that you're picking up or "seeing" their 3G network's signal...

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about this.
--
Posted: 2005-05-07 12:03:36

Depending on how long you've been using cell phones, you may remember that early GSM ("2G") phones had really bad batteries... With time, it improved, so much so that there are now phones with talk-times as long as 14 hours!

3G networks use a LOT more power than 2G networks and with time, the battery life on 3G handsets will improve too.

That said, I use my (2G) Vodafone SIM in MY Z1010 and I can get a VERY solid day out of it!
--
Posted: 2005-05-07 12:09:10
Page12>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home