Esato Mobile
General discussions : Product reviews : NEC N900 review
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Product reviews > NEC N900 review Bookmark topic
amnesia Posts: > 500

NEC N900 reviewed by Oxygen Mobile

It's been a while and I decided that my father deserved a new mobile phone. He keeps on damaging his old ones and this one is small enough that he can put in his wallet.

Damned father's day.

First thing that I marvelled was at the packaging. It's on the same level as Apple's packaging. Nice, tidy, with what seemed like secret compartments.

So i opened the box, inserted the sim card and then tried to switch it on. Nothing. Aww crap, no battery! So I plugged it into the charger (China and UK voltage is the same btw)
and left it for 10 minutes. Took it off the charger, switched it on, and then saw that it had 2 out of 3 cells full. Now either the battery is weak or it charger fast. I'd have
to say the latter.

When I did switch it on, I was greeted with the NEC logo and a nice vibrant screen.

Before I go into that, better give the basic lowdown on specs.

Specs:

2 MB internal memory, LED Flash, a VGA Megapixel camera.

Screen: 65K TFT screen

System: Native

Sound: One speaker on the top of the phone.

Again I apologize if the pictures are not as clear as they should be.

What you get:

In the box you get the battery, a headset, a Sync CD, Sync cable, charger, car charger, a dock and a manual.

The CD includes various apps that are already installed on the phone or available on the NEC website.

Below are a few pics of the phone's packaging.

Again,I have to emphasize how enjoyable it was to open the box itself. It's like a chinese puzzle.

The dock that came with the phone was extremely sexy as it was steel like and would look great on any table.

The design of the phone is great, as well as unique. It's slimmer than a Motorola Razr V3, and is much smaller than how the pics make it appear.

Note: Using the buttons is a bit tricky at first however they are represented by the screens softkey menus. The keypad also has arrows to indicate
how to move the menus.

To use functions such a recorder, you need to be aware that you need to connect the headset. That being said, the reason for this is because the developers
say that there is no space to fit in a mic. So if you want to make a call, you'll need to put on the headset. That's a bummer.

Now judging by the pics, you might say "it's not THAT small" and so I've attached a few angular photos.

The phone feels solid, as if made from durable aluminium, it's an advantage as you might feel it could break in your pocket.

Sound Quality on the phone is great. The speaker, although small, is VERY loud. According to my girlfriend, it's because it's very loud in China in most areas, so they need loud speakers.

Video:

Playing video is alright, as good as it gets with a VGA camera. It's a bit laggy but nice.

The keypad lighting is not that bad,the great thing is that you can change up to 12 backlights. It isn't new to change led colors on a phone
but I've never seen it done for a keypad. You can also choose gradiation. Which changes the colors constantly. You may select different keypad
colors for different events, such as sending a text, or simply browsing the phone.

The signal was always on max, where as my D500 had the tendancy to drop on occasion where I live.

The call quality was fine, although i was unable to make a good judgement since it uses a headset.

I guess thats all the details I have for now. It's a highly recommended phone.
Prices range from 800 dollars to 1300 dollars according to some sites.
So if you see a good deal, go for it.

By K Saleh

Oh I'm also going to be getting the N930 and N940 soon so look out for those reviews too.

[ This Message was edited by: amnesia on 2005-06-06 18:45 ]
--
Posted: 2005-06-06 19:43:12
Edit : Quote

Merc_Man Posts: > 500

Excellent review mate, nice one, that is one stylsh phone!
--
Posted: 2005-06-06 19:52:07

thank Merc.
Actually I've spotted the N930 which is giving me the hots.
I'm giving this one to my father as a gift on Father's day.

That N930 is basically the same but with Bluetooth and a touchscreen.
I'll wait a couple of months for when the price drops a bit and snatch one up.

When I do get it from my provider, I could order you one too.
Might come out a couple of quid cheaper and to our advantage.

Oxygen Inc

[ This Message was edited by: amnesia on 2005-06-06 18:55 ]
--
Posted: 2005-06-06 19:53:41

Merc_Man Posts: > 500

On the N930, can calls only be made by using a headset/bluetooth headset same as the N900?
--
Posted: 2005-06-06 19:59:38

masseur Posts: > 500

nice review. I fancied this phone at one time

just for interest, here's a link to the N930 discussion thread

NEC N930 - credit card sized, touch-screen, camera, BT

and the N900 discussion thread

NEC N900 10mm-thick, Card-Sized Mobile Phone Handset
--
Posted: 2005-06-06 20:04:32

thanks for those links Masseur.

@merc, I dont know if you need a headset. I'm hopefully going to be getting it for around 350 pounds. Still searching for it cheaper though>

I've sent an email to someone to see if you ahve to use the headset or not.

I tried checking a Chinese site but they didn't mention it at all.
--
Posted: 2005-06-06 20:25:20

still no reply from that guy, he answered every question except if it works with a headset or not.

When I asked him again, he just didn't reply.

Anyone else know if the N930 works without a headset?
--
Posted: 2005-06-12 15:00:27

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home