Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : HTC : HTC HD2 discussion and unboxing Pictures
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > HTC > HTC HD2 discussion and unboxing Pictures Bookmark topic
Page <  12345678>

londonlad123 Posts: > 500

Don't have a YouTube account so not tried it. Though I get similar error when trying to set 'my location' for the weather. You cant seem to manually set your own location and through gps it fails. Gps elsewhere works.

It's a good phone apart from a few niggles in usability. Much faster to react than my iPhone 2g. And yeah the screen is great!

The web browser doesn't display pages as well as safari on the iPhone. Especially when it comes to a line of buttons across the screen. I would also like to be able to turn reflow off.

Two major improvements that make it usuable at all. The keyboards as good as the iPhones for me and I've not struggled to use the finger to select anything like previous winmo stylus devices.

Ps, the iPhone headset works for music at least play/stop does.

Where's the best place for apps on the net?

Masseur, would you say it's faster than the 3gs?
--
Posted: 2009-11-27 01:02:57
Edit : Quote

masseur Posts: > 500

I'd say its as fast as the 3gs, and I can see HTC is trying very hard to match the iPhone but it definitly doesn't do it quite as easily or eloquently as the iphone does itself.

that said, its by far the best WM device I have ever used, and there is alot of added value in the default sim free unit (I gather youtube is missing from the tmob version, for example).

Its easy to be taken in by the beautiful screen but actually, if the iphone has this 4.3" beast, it would complete it for me. The screen is very responsive to the touch and unlike the iphone works with the full finger as well as the finitite touch of a finger nail.

I'm into the 15 day trial of the CoPilot, and its not a bad solution, but I'll be trying to see if the Garmin I have will work on this screen resolution.

I actually think IE in 6.5 does a fair job compared to Safari and I also like the way you can download and install the Java google maps and your don't have to run it from some Java environment like we used to have to. In fact google maps looks excellent on this screen but I'm not sure if its just the extra reolution that makes it look so great.

I really had just about given up on WM after the X1 but now this has brought freshness to my mobile perspective and I do feel now that iPhone has to push ahead more than it has previously with the challenge of the HD2

--
Posted: 2009-11-27 01:18:30

oh dear, I'm very much liking this HD2. So much so that after using it all morning, and then getting my iPhone out, the iPhone styling suddenly feels quite old fashioned! still can't get youtube to login to my account and HTC support just want me to do a hard reset, so maybe I'll do that over the weekend. The Microsoft app store (Marketplace) doesn't have alot to offer and does appear to be more costly than iPhone apps.

anyway, a few days ago Plemix created an HD2 unboxing topic but as we already had one I removed it and asked him to repost here. He hasn't done so yet and so I will do the honours....
---------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Plemix
The first time laid my eyes on HTC HD2, I am amazed by its ostentatiously huge and amazingly slim. The cinematic 4.3” display makes me totally fall for it. Actually, it is the latest version of the Touch HD which was the undisputed leader on the Windows Mobile smartphone market in 2008. After a year, the new comer has been improved a lot. Featuring killer spec of gigantic capacitive screen, 1GHz Snapdragon Processor and 448MB RAM, 5MP auto-focus camera with dual LED flash…Let’s take a closer look at it.

What’s inside the box? The HTC HD2 phone, battery, USB sync cable, AC adapter, Power plug, 3.5mm stereo headset, Pouch and the Quick start Guide.

With the 4.3” display, HD2 looks big in size. It can’t be used with just single hand, but quite thin. A screen that big should has its consequence, right? It weight 157 grams which is understandable as the screen is covered by glass and the battery cover is all metal.

The hardware controls on the HD2 has been increased over its predecessor: all together five hardware keys below the display. The Menu key is the new comer which appears on the WinMo 6.5 device such as Touch2.

The left side of the phone hosts only a volume rocker.

The bottom part of the phone hosts the 3.5mm standard audio jack, the microUSB port and the microphone pinhole.

Turn to the back, you’ll see the 5MP camera lens and the dual LED flash is just next to it.

Removing the steel back cover, you’ll find the reset pinhole along with the microSD card slot which can handle full 16GB microSD card with problem-free.

The HD2 with the stylish carrying pouch. We are impressed by the pouch as it looks very grand.

PocketPC regulars are certainly familiar with the TouchFLO interface. However, HD2 has upgraded but still cool TouchFLO 3D plus the features found in the Sense UI pioneered on the HTC Hero. It becomes more content and full of eye-candy. As of runs on Windows Mobile 6.5, the Start menu comes in a honeycomb pattern, which makes touch control even more comfortable.

HD2 comes with the latest Opera browser which is extensively touch-optimized and supports multi-touch. On the big capacitive screen along with the powerful hardware, the web browsing experience on the HD2 is excellent. Pages look great and the pinch zoom is very smooth and fast with no visible lag.

The details of the HD2 hardware: 1GHz Snapdragon processor, 448 MB RAM…It got a bundle of groundbreaking hardware.

Surprisingly, we found the unexpected features on HD2: the ringer volume level that immediately scales down when the phone detects that you have picked it up and the display that automatically adjusts to the light level in your surroundings and turns off to prevent false screen touches during a call. With groundbreaking features, high performance and elegant design, however, comes with a relatively high price tag. Or you can check on its opponents, Toshiba TG01 and Acer neoTouch also with giant screen and fast CPU, both of them are at lower price but features less UI customizations, resistive touchscreens and less RAM.
--
Posted: 2009-11-27 13:35:25

Bonovox Posts: > 500

There is a side by side compared review of the 3GS and HTC on Phone Arena
--
Posted: 2009-11-27 13:35:00

its always nice to post a link

here is that comparison

wasn't fussed with their conclusion which seems to be a whole lot of nothingreally!

anyway, has anyone else grabbed one of these? I can't put the thing down and that reminds me of my first days with the iPhone. As I got into podcasting with the iPhone, I never used it on WM before so I'm trying to find the best app to manage the downloads etc in the same way that itunes does for me. There's a few other "catch-up" type apps I'm after too, but I'm in no hurry and I'll take my time.

A hard reset didn't fix the you tube account login issue so I'll buzz HTC again as I dont find any other solution on the next, though a few people have reported the same problem.
--
Posted: 2009-11-28 14:57:34

That's exactly what it is, it's a top phone but not as eloquent as the iPhone. That eloquence is the subtle features the iPhone has like different defualt apps working together, like pressing a YouTube link in safari will take you to the YouTube player. Hd2 takes you to the website that has no flash player installed which is pointless in opera. Not liking the basic-ness and no pinch to zoom in IE. I can think of a load of little things like that.

For apps, I guess my mindset was that there were plenty of good apps based on the past but that's no longer the case. Especially since now apps are having to be redesigned for finger friendliness.

The weather problem I was having was solved by allow google to collect location info.

Loving the music and fm radio sound quality, a lot more 'warmer' than the iPhones.

I'm curious to find out more about wimno 7. Though htc themselves could do enough to makes it as easy to use as iPhone.
--
Posted: 2009-11-28 15:11:28

agree with your points though they don't totally detract too much from my experience.

wm7 is possibly going to be announced at WMC on 15 Feb in Barcelona, so its not too far away, and if the link I posted earlier in this topic is to believed, HTC will make it available for download for the HD2 soon after.
--
Posted: 2009-11-28 15:18:32

Bonovox Posts: > 500

Sorry have 2 habit of forgetting links
--
Posted: 2009-11-28 15:49:00

masseur, not tried it but you might not need any other software because the rss reader looks like it has support for podcast download.

As for me wanting more calendar notes on the lock screen, xda have said to others it's not possible because that's the way Microsoft have set it up. I guess I can make do.

hmmm, the iPhone user interface is starting to feel old now.

Windows mobile 7 is due to be announced in feb and released in the summer. Though this phone does deserve it a little earlier for being one of the key phones to keep some interest in winmo going.So could be true.
--
Posted: 2009-11-29 13:40:13

yep, you're right. The RSS app can handle the download of podcasts though its still a bit more clumsy than itunes, and I think its that which will always be a stumbling block for any competitor

a single cilck of the refresh in itunes followed by a single click of the syn button and my iphone is fully up to date each morning with my daily podcasst needs
--
Posted: 2009-11-29 18:24:02
Page <  12345678>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home