Esato Mobile
Manufacturer Discussion : Nokia : Nokia's Masterplan for 2010
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia's Masterplan for 2010 Bookmark topic
Page <  123>

Bonovox Posts: > 500

I have never had a problem with any of Nokia's UI wheather S60 or S40. I never have a problem navigating their UI in terms of usability I have never had to refer to a manual. Why people find S60 confusing I do not know. Yes it needs an overhaul & revamp to make it more refreshing & upto date. The only things I do not like are the slow speeds on some not all devices(more ram & faster processor) & also the boring dull icons in the menu. We all agree menus are nice eye candy thats what I would like to see from Nokia & some changes to the gallery & such things on S40 & S60 plus proper multi tasking on S40
--
Posted: 2009-12-03 15:53:59
Edit : Quote

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

Prom1
Finaly!! Thanx for the info, all id like is a 5800xm type S60v5 with that TI OMAP3430 CPU and 256mb RAM. Good thing NOKIA cant take shortcuts this time.
--
Posted: 2009-12-03 16:30:03

se_love Posts: > 500

On 2009-12-03 14:09:03, Boinng wrote:
IMO it's a bit too heavyweight now (too many scripts and things weighing the page down) - looks and works great on an up to date PC/Mac but loads like a dog on some other machines I use, which is a shame, as it means I can't go there so much.
I know what you mean. The old engadget was just too clean and all unorganized but this new one seriously lags for me. I cannot visit it either with the current piece of junk I'm using either.

I don't "hate" on anybody, but I've never been a fan of Nokia's style. One of the things I once loved about SE (and E before that) is they used to leave Nokia for dust on technology grounds, even though they were never as popular. These days it's the other way around if anything, but Nokia's design cues and poor interfaces still put me right off.

And irony is, Sony got some serious technology under the hood of a lot of products. If Sony had more of an effect on SE phones and paid more attention to the merger they have going SE would be potentially better. But alas it is not the case.
--
Posted: 2009-12-03 19:52:54

imran_soorya Posts: 155

Can somebody throw light on the next communicator. I am fed up of using e90 since 2007. I feel like i am using it since pre historic age, thats d intensity of my boredom with e90 but the fact is that no phone except for a true successor in d same form factor can replace my e90. GSMA 2010 is about two months away and i hope nokia launches e91 or e80 or may be both. Pl share if you have any leads or leaks.
--
Posted: 2009-12-05 09:17:00

tangway Posts: 6

imran

how about the e72?
--
Posted: 2009-12-12 03:29:07

carkitter Posts: > 500

On 2009-12-03 13:39:06, Boinng wrote:
Good luck to them. They'll need it!

On 2009-12-03 14:09:03, Boinng wrote:
I don't "hate" on anybody, but I've never been a fan of Nokia's style. One of the things I once loved about SE (and E before that) is they used to leave Nokia for dust on technology grounds, even though they were never as popular. These days it's the other way around if anything, but Nokia's design cues and poor interfaces still put me right off.

Totally agree with both these statements.

Nokia won't be able to get S60 owners to behave like iPhone owners IMO, they will have to sway iPhone owners away from their devices and they have little to attract them with ATM. 7 million smartphone buyers per quarter is a market worth chasing. Few of the current S60 buyers will change their habits so Nokia will always be disappointed unless they attract the app buying market.
--
Posted: 2009-12-12 08:33:38

imran_soorya Posts: 155

@tangway.
E72 cannot replace e90. I need a 4" or bigger screen to view office documents and surfing plus a full fledged qwerty keyboard hence i cannot settle for anything less than e90
--
Posted: 2010-01-03 06:56:56

jj03 Posts: > 500

gonna keep my omnia hd for another year or two. there's nothing available that i'm interested in..
--
Posted: 2010-01-03 13:55:00

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

LOL! Funny i said i want a 5800xm type device as i got the 5800xm on Monday,im so happy with it ,and NOW i can sit back and delay my upgrade til a Symbian2 replacement of 5800xm/X6 is out.
--
Posted: 2010-01-03 17:12:13

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

I've been an S60 fan on & off for a few years now; Symbian really.

The issue I've always had, previous to Symbian-Foundation, was a double edged sword.
Nokia being the sharper side pretty much snuffed out its licensed competitors, allowing them to make devices, and they release something very similar to their products. What made it worse is Nokia's certificates for BetaLabs software (all free) only worked on Nokia's S60 devices.
LG, Samsung, and a few others that licensed S60 only really released a few handsets at any given 12mth period ~ Samsung releasing more S60 smartphones in the past 18mths then it ever had in its history of licensing S60 which has been close to 7yrs.

Unfortunately their efforts where only half-assed in design and product band support outside of North America and due to this many users hardly purchased them. I don't blame them because Nokia always played the 800lb gorilla with them and now the industry is changing and Nokia is getting what they deserved! Huge costs of acquiring Symbian ownership, and forming Symbian-Foundation, and reduced handset sales, horrible handset outlook for first 2 QTR's of 2010, and their biggest bet is now trying to earn patent sharing or $$$$ from Apple, Inc because they got kicked in the nads.

I'm still hoping Symbian-Foundation can seriously deliver (I have faith in Williams to do this), but its really going to be up to the handset manufacturers to see a greater opportunity to release devices using it and getting support from SDK's, app-store revenue & advertisement for developers to really consider this platform as a viable solution, then for providers to also consider this as well. Should Vodafone, Orange, Rogers, or any other provider pull their support you're going to see serious ripples in the Symbian food-chain crumble!

Symbian-Foundation is the core, the purpose, and the pillar for the success of Symbian ... they really need to step-up all timetables considerably (say 2-mths) and get Alpha builds to manufacturers to test and work with them, and FAST! To do this they really need more than the odd-310 employee staff.

Nokia right now is caught with their tail between their legs. Wasting so much resources and funds behind ONLY the flagship devices (N97 and recently N900) and also shooting themselves in the foot; stating only 1 Maemo device to be released in 2010 (after all that advertising? Stupid)! Also with Maemo 6 to be released mid-2010, a few questions come to mind: will N900 support it, and will the next device come with it??

With Symbian^2 still not announced by Nokia ... I wouldn't bet on them delivering before mid-summer 2010. The main issue with Nokia is still too much separation between all their departments and thus takes too long to ship a device after announcement; way too many delays.

N97 delivered on time but it was rushed!
E72 delayed by a full qtr (3mths)
X6 wow ... that thing took 6mths after initial shipment expectation.

Nokia needs to STOP rehashing brand-names and marketing the same device more than once for differing models.
N93i/N93i Internet Edition/N93i Golf Edition
N73/N73 Music Edition/N73 whatever edition
5580/5580 Internet Edition. What is the point of calling a smartphone a smartphone, then rebadging it as an "Internet Edition"?! What the HELL is a smartphone that does NOT have internet?!
--
Posted: 2010-01-03 18:45:43
Page <  123>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home