Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : Accessories : Sony SmartWatch 2 SW2
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > Sony SmartWatch 2 SW2 Bookmark topic
Page <  123, 456 ... 101112>

etaab Posts: > 500

Which is a much better thought out reply.

This year i'd like to buy a smartwatch. Preferably the Sony as I think it looks the best and runs Android. Samsungs does not properly. Then theres other competitors which are all a bit "third party"

Screen tech is very important, especially when Apple can put a brilliant screen into their smallest iPod Nanos.
--
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:09:22
Edit : Quote

moogoo Posts: > 500

my guess is simply battery life. ipod nanos indeed have great lil screens but you end up charging them often if you have the screen on often. even music playback is at best 30 hours. just over a day and the screen isn't even on. that's a no go for a watch accessory.

for as "big" as it is, i was hoping they stuck a few more features in there with a bigger battery. to be honest, i wasn't too interested in it before, but since i'm getting one for free, i figured i'd give it a shot and if i hate it after 2 weeks, i'll ebay it or something.

Notifications and such aren't such a big deal for me. The primary reasons I'm excited is remote shutter and i love watches in general and it's about time i added a "gadget" one to my collection..
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-10-01 21:19 ]

--
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:18:02

Wishmaster89 Posts: 333

On 2013-10-01 22:04:25, etaab wrote:
Do you seriously expect an answer to that ?

I'll humour you seeing as you're very bitter towards anything negative Sony related. The X10 mini had a terrible screen irrespective of its resolution. The colours were poor, the pixels massive and everything looked grainy and / or in low definition. In contrast, the X10 in its full size had a brilliant screen.

I remember a good friend buying one, comparing it to my N8's screen and being completely disgusted in how bad it was. It was like a screen from 2003.

I'm not trying to be bitter towards anything negative Sony related, I'm just trying to understand what did you expect from 1,6" 176x220 transflective TFT screen in direct sunlight, rich and saturated colors?
The same applies to what you said about X10 mini screen, first you say that it was bad irrespective of its resolution then you say that everything looked grainy and low definition, well wouldn't it be because of the low resolution? You tell me.

I remember using m600 that had QVGA 2.6" screen and even 10 years ago I was thinking that it looks grainy even though it looked better than the screen of my previous device that had 1,8" screen with 176x220 resolution

And just as moogoo said, this screen is a compromise one has to make to get acceptable battery life from a watch. Most of the people change batteries in the watches every 2 years or so, so I understand how Sony wanted to make it as long lasting as possible.
--
Posted: 2013-10-01 22:30:15

pt020 Posts: > 500

On 2013-10-01 21:51:08, etaab wrote:
The screen is visible but you can see the grid of the pixels with the screens relatively low resolution. It looks like the same poor screen from the X10 mini.

I was considering buying one of these, but from those shots im a little disappointed now.

You see the pixels only on camera, in real you need very good eyes for it.
For me the screen is the best part of the watch,I wish my phones screen worked as well in the sunlight as this one dose.
--
Posted: 2013-10-01 23:07:13

Supa_Fly Posts: > 500

On 2013-10-01 21:51:08, etaab wrote:
The screen is visible but you can see the grid of the pixels with the screens relatively low resolution. It looks like the same poor screen from the X10 mini.

I was considering buying one of these, but from those shots im a little disappointed now.

Man you gotta rain on EVERYONE's fun-day parade? (I'm kidding you here of course). Not to worry I'll accept the grid lines for readability and 3 days minimum battery life vs Samsungs latest smartwatch which cannot even do a full day - pathetic really and its a CRAP offering!

On 2013-10-01 22:09:22, etaab wrote:
Which is a much better thought out reply.

This year i'd like to buy a smartwatch. Preferably the Sony as I think it looks the best and runs Android. Samsungs does not properly. Then theres other competitors which are all a bit "third party"

Screen tech is very important, especially when Apple can put a brilliant screen into their smallest iPod Nanos.

Took Apple several, and I do mean several years to even get to a decent screen on iPod Nano's ... plus they flip and flop over what to design them ... skinny slim, longitudinal, square, then back again to longitundinal (about 3x now). I'm not waiting for an Apple over glorified and pricey smartwatch that just has limitations slightly above Samsungs 2013 offering, not thanks!!

This definitely looks SWEET with that metal band!

Motorola had used the Smart Tags NFC feature that Sony does but then began to back away from it because it was so complex and users never used it. They've completely dumbed it down this year in the Droid Ultra Max and Moto X; but that's beyond this topics conversation of course.
--
Posted: 2013-10-02 01:22:56

Few things I do not like about the SW2 ...
Hardware is very good ... but I do have some problems with the software.
First... everytime I want to connect it to different phone I have to rest the watch,not only that you also need to remove it from the phone it was already paired with in the past to be able to connect it again,have had many bluetooth apparatus, but never a problem like that ...and NFC does not help.
SW 1 did not have that problem.
Watch is bit lagging,could use more HP ... old one did not.
Anyway I like the watch ...and I'm sure that a software/apps update can fix it all, it looks good it has very good screen (outdoor) and I used it alot in the past 2 days and the battery is still on.(it was charged from the box)
[ This Message was edited by: pt020 on 2013-10-06 03:37 ]

--
Posted: 2013-10-02 18:12:20

moogoo Posts: > 500

thanks for the feedback.

sounds like sony is still working out the kinks with the software and back support for old apps. does sony release updates for the SW often like they do for their phones?

i still can't wait to get mine though.
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-10-02 17:19 ]

--
Posted: 2013-10-02 18:18:49

On 2013-10-02 18:18:49, moogoo wrote:
does sony release updates for the SW often like they do for their phones?
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-10-02 17:19 ]

In 16 month I have the SW1 it had 2-3 updates
--
Posted: 2013-10-02 21:46:40

etaab Posts: > 500

On 2013-10-02 01:22:56, Supa_Fly wrote:
I'll accept the grid lines for readability and 3 days minimum battery life vs Samsungs latest smartwatch which cannot even do a full day - pathetic really and its a CRAP offering!

I don't know about the Samsung one. Im not a fan of how it looks or the lack of proper Android integration. It might work better than any other smartwatch for all I know, but from what ive read and my first impressions its certainly dumber not running a version of Android.

In regards to the screen, I couldn't disagree more. One of the brilliant things about amoled screens is that they use very very little power when displaying blacks and simple pixels. That was the beauty of apps like Nokia's sleep screen on my N8 which meant you could have the time, date and notifications on the lockscreen 24hours a day with next to no battery life being used by it.

Surely an amoled screen would have been much better for a smartwatch for that reason alone.. and possibly a bump up in resolution.
--
Posted: 2013-10-03 00:12:41

Today there was an update to the music player (had to reset the watch again to make it been seen on the watch) works better.
http://developer.sonymobile.c[....]original-smartwatch-extension/
[ This Message was edited by: pt020 on 2013-10-07 12:53 ]

--
Posted: 2013-10-05 21:14:09
Page <  123, 456 ... 101112>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home