Esato Mobile
Sony Ericsson / Sony : UMTS / 3G : V800 to come out on O2 3G
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > Sony Ericsson / Sony > UMTS / 3G > V800 to come out on O2 3G Bookmark topic
Page <  12345>

Vlammetje Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2005-01-31 14:44:19, richardlusty wrote:
And even if you are not in a 3G compatible area, there will be seamless switch coverage onto the o2 standard network. Therefore out of all the networks i think o2 may be going about this the right way and slowly leading the revolution into 3G.

I don't know why you think that but my vodafone does offer a working seamless transition over here so that in itself is not a specific O2 bonus feature
--
Posted: 2005-01-31 15:49:57
Edit : Quote

goldenface Posts: > 500

Maybe 50% network coverage will include all the major cities and towns and so will include the vast majority of the population, making it viable for them to launch their 3G service.

Orange only launched their 3G service last month so maybe O2 were holding back to see how Orange faired.
--
Posted: 2005-01-31 17:18:19

scotsboyuk Posts: > 500

@goldenface

It is 50% by population, not geographic area.

@richardlusty

Vodafone offers seamless switching between 3G and 2.5G coverage and, in my opinion, they accomplish it very well.

O2's 3G launch looks to be a little poor, hopefully they will get their act together quickly and be able to offer some real competition.
--
Posted: 2005-01-31 20:29:40

voda_jon Posts: > 500

hello everyone... i personally an probably the other networks wont be worried by this news as it seems like its a very quiet soft launch.... plus O2 still brand their handsets... especially if its 100% 02 active... have u seen the 6600? its all O2 active with a titlebar... not too nice... but ok imo...

Less than 50% coverage is very poor but dont forget that this is a soft launch jus like vodafones launch was....

Anyways am off... head hurts.
--
Posted: 2005-01-31 20:41:40

peanut Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2005-01-31 15:39:58, dave_uk wrote:
Hmmm....it sounds to me like O2 are not taking this launch all that seriously, in case they bought by someone, maybe Hutchinson (merge with "3"?)

Why would you launch with sub-50% coverage when "3" have 80%+, Orange have 66%+ and Voda have over 50%? It doesn't make sense.

As for seamless handover between 3G and 2G, "3" advertised that at launch and it was garbage, as I suspect this claim will be too.

Time will tell...

It's interesting that you speculate that O2 may be sold (or even break up like three is going to). My organisation is BT's largest competitor and we're looking to expand our mobile services.

I'm saying no more...
--
Posted: 2005-01-31 21:24:01

cal6n Posts: 8

O2 going 3G? what a joke. They don't even have decent voice coverage in Brighton, let alone anything else!
--
Posted: 2005-01-31 22:04:16

richardlusty Posts: 128

Well it may not be great in Brighton but in Northern Ireland it is the best network for reception. And i know that vodafone etc offer seamless switch, i wasnt trying to say that o2 are revolutionising in that respect. I just think the way that the company are approaching it and the way the sales team have been pitched is quite good and clever. Basically its not gonna be a big deal but it will be (if that makes sense) If it wasn't for o2 in Northern ireland i dont think picture messaging would have taken off over here cos non of the other networks didnt seem to bother themselves. Don't wanna give too much away about where i got the info from but there are news articles on the net. And also to the other guy who was sayin about o2 bein sold or broken up, if you do have any info i would love to know it and if you want you could email it to me and i'd keep shut. Yes and 3 didn't have successful seamless switch because it tried to access the o2 network which wasn't always successful (i wonder y??????? )
But we'll wait and see anyway and hopefully with a few new sony ericsson handsets comin out 3g will be a next step. Come on sony get the 6 million mega pixel camera phone out! I wish
--
Posted: 2005-02-01 00:17:15

dave_uk Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2005-01-31 21:24:01, peanut wrote:
It's interesting that you speculate that O2 may be sold (or even break up like three is going to). My organisation is BT's largest competitor and we're looking to expand our mobile services.

I'm saying no more...

Peanut, you coy chap, you....

Interesting, and of course BT need to get back into the mobile market, and they did used to own O2, so who does know...?

@richardlusty

I have no "inside info" - I just work in the industry and keep my ear to the ground, as it were...

--
Posted: 2005-02-01 00:59:43

scotsboyuk Posts: > 500

Quote:
On 2005-02-01 00:17:15, richardlusty wrote:
Come on sony get the 6 million mega pixel camera phone out!

I wonder what a 6 terapixel camera would be like?
--
Posted: 2005-02-01 02:56:18

peanut Posts: > 500

Not sure if this is any interest to people wanting to understand the strategic direction of O2. The end part of the presentation is of most interest.

http://www.mmo2.com/downloads[....]0-%20afternoon%20-%20final.pdf
--
Posted: 2005-02-01 13:24:17
Page <  12345>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home