Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : Your thoughts about the next(probably last) UIQ phone
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > Your thoughts about the next(probably last) UIQ phone Bookmark topic
Page <  1234>

QVGA Posts: > 500

Considering SE's expertise with 'pretty interfaces' they should invest in a S60 phone. Its clearly better than UIQ and the only gripe(if any) is that its not good looking(thats by SE fans). So if they can make a pretty and flashy looking S60 interface phone, it might do wonders.
--
Posted: 2008-08-17 18:15:24
Edit : Quote

djin Posts: > 500

@razec
Your right, but i think even thou it might be last of uiq, but it wont be the last of symbian. So Se might just prepare for the next symbian os with the next uiq phone(in terms of hardware) just so it becomes cheaper to them when investing on the next symbian platform. But ofcourse if they already got loads of nexperia, then your point seems very logical(other wise too).

@Qvga,
I have to agree with you, s60 is great. If se would somehow make deal with nokia to add s60 compatibility in uiq or other new os, then that would be awesome as well, as s60's got loads of softwares. But when overlooking both os in their default state i think uiq's got some edges over s60.
Also if they would take ideas from their own A200(A3 would be great) and implement it on uiq... that might make it much much better.
--
Posted: 2008-08-17 18:29:49

Tsepz_GP Posts: > 500

I think it would be great if SE, went the NOKIA and MOTO way by buying the cheaper FREESCALE MXC300-30 CPU. NOKIA use this CPU in their mid-range S60 devices like N78, N81, E66 and E71 running at 369mhz whereas MOTO use it in their LINUX OS devices like The V8, E8, Z6 and ZN5 running at 500mhz. It can handle VGA video at 30FPS as well as high quality 3D graphics. Its not AS power hungry as dual CPUs since its a single CPU. I think it would have been great if SE put this in their UIQ phones like G700 and G900.
Heres its details: http://www.freescale.com/weba[....]rod_summary.jsp?code=MXC300-30
--
Posted: 2008-08-17 19:20:20

idumbakumar Posts: > 500

My idea on putting two CPUs is. When the system needs to perform some havier operations can utilize the use of both. But whenever it needs some simple tasks no need of another Cpu and can be dead. Its kinda master and slave! So that power also less consumed. Anyway while two CPUs running may consume more power comparing single CPU. But using old CPU may not have some inbuild intelligence like audio DSP,3d acc, power manag,video graphics. Etc.
All just upto my knowledge.
So SE should use new CPUs. even the device is last uiq anyway we are going to get unified symbian that can make use of this new platform with small modifications as the core is almost same.
--
Posted: 2008-08-17 22:03:29

RedSpiDer Posts: 21

I think that the next UIQ if it will be the last won`t be such a great plus when compared to current or maybe SE would want to give a last hooray to there UIQ based phones.
As for the future I believe that SE may go with Windows Mobile , SE Xperia X1 is already an indication, probably they will choose only after they see the markets response to the X1 , if it`s good then probably we will see more WM based phones, if it is bad then back to the drawing board, maybe SE could start to implement Google`s Android OS if it`s good .
--
Posted: 2008-08-19 17:12:07

goldenface Posts: > 500

I think quite a few people would like to express their thoughts on the new Symbian Foundation.

Personally, its a bit sad as I think UIQ, given more time, would have developed into something great.

However, there are great competitors to Symbian on the horizon what with Apple Inc and Android devices, its not hard to see why the new foundation makes good sense.
--
Posted: 2008-08-19 18:42:00

No matter what happens, sonyericsson will not abandon symbian. It has or had 2nd highest stake in it. And symbian's first device was an ericsson(which was ultra limited in functionality). So it makes no sense to leave symbian but rather, it should use more symbian, because there are the most users of symbian than any other os.
Se wasnt brave enough for going to a newly developed os, Andriod. However, the new mnagement might be brave enough to take risks(hopefully).
--
Posted: 2008-08-19 19:05:55

QVGA Posts: > 500

On 2008-08-19 18:42:00, goldenface wrote:

Personally, its a bit sad as I think UIQ, given more time, would have developed into something great.

how much time exactly? its been ages since the P900 and the now G900
--
Posted: 2008-08-19 22:02:00

RedSpiDer Posts: 21

Symbian UIQ kindave lost the battle with it`s brother the Symbian S60, the S60 is used in more phones and by many other producers (for example Nokia,Samsung) while the Symbina UIQ is just used by Sony Ericsson and Motorola, the later kindave lost interest in it in recently.
The only good thing that the UIQ still has is the ability to use a touchscreen interface.

In my opinion Sony should start to pay a close attention in developing better phones for Windows Mobile, although it has it`s share of drawbacks , or even get involved with Android, which might be a succes.
--
Posted: 2008-08-20 16:10:53

symbian uiq was used in a nokia model too. but i dont remember its name.
--
Posted: 2008-08-22 02:24:17
Page <  1234>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home