Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : SE and Microsoft rumor! i doubt it. but maybe
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > SE and Microsoft rumor! i doubt it. but maybe Bookmark topic
Page <  1234>

CybaCowboy Posts: 314

It'd be good to see a Sony Pocket PC too- they pushed Palm OS to its limits, made EVERY other Palm OS device look like a cheap toy and influenced thousands to switch to Palm OS!

Considering Windows Mobile has a hundred times the power of Palm OS, it'll be good to see what Sony churn out...
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 08:31:00
Edit : Quote

Of course Windows Mobile is more powerful than Symbian OS- how many Symbian OS devices have a 624MHz CPU (as found in the HP Hx4700 Pocket PC and one of Dell's Pocket PCs)?
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 08:35:00

govigov Posts: > 500

Powerful does not refer to the processing speed. It refers to the commanding power you have over the operating system. This message was posted from a K500
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 08:44:42

Windows Mobile devices can run PC programs, play feature-length movies and high-quality features flawless handwriting recognition, supports memory cards up to 10GB (Sony Ericsson only recently added support for 1GB memory cards to their Pxxx series), provider real-time instant messaging with one of the world's biggest chat services, offers a much better interface, is more secure in all respects, a better E-Mail client, support for a variety of screen sizes and resolutions, support for VGA-quality screens... This message was posted from a F500
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 09:01:22

YoMan Posts: 44

CybaCowboy:

Letīs turn this on itīs head: Why do you thing Pocket PC Phones need 400 Mhz + processors to run at a decent pace, when Symbian does it comfortably at 150 Mhz (P800/P910)?
A heavy OS burdening the processor perhaps?

--
Posted: 2005-01-11 09:06:51

masseur Posts: > 500

unfortunately windows mobile devices can NOT run PC programs as they must be compiled for the specific CPU in the windows mobile device.

Similarly windows mobile programs will not run on a windows PC

and yes, the processor speed does not neccessarily reflect performance of the device

--
Posted: 2005-01-11 09:07:40

govigov Posts: > 500

Well said.

[ This Message was edited by: govigov on 2005-01-11 08:15 ]
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 09:07:45

With third-party software, Pocket PCs CAN run PC programs; not installed locally, but programs installed on a PC when connected to a computer. In regards to why Windows Mobile needs such a fast processor, why do computers use 1GHz+ processors? It's NOT because the device needs it, but rather to enable the device to run more powerful applications (much more powerful than those found on Symbian OS)... This message was posted from a F500
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 09:19:09

masseur Posts: > 500

please tell me more about how I can run PC programs on my iPAQ hx4700 and what 3rd party software is required, as this intrigues me. I am a member of several pocketpc forums, have been using pocketpc's since the very first day the first iPAQ 6350 was available and have never heard of this. I'd like to give this a go!

as for procesing power, it really depends on the instruction set being used as to what value you can get out of that processor. for example a RISC processor running at 1ghz will almost certainly be faster than a non RISC processor which requires more CPU cycles to perform the operation. This is a simplistic view but gives the idea.
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 09:25:18

I've been using PDAs since MS-DOS 6 was released on the Hewlett Packard 200LX Palmtop PC; I was (literally) the first person in Australia to buy a Windows CE Palmtop PC when Casio released their Cassiopeia (A-100?) Palmtop PC! I know Symantec used to make a program for Handheld PCs years ago, although I believe that is now long gone... Do a search on Handango for "remote PC control" (or similar), or ask about remotely controlling a PC on some of your favourite Pocket PC forums. This message was posted from a F500
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 11:23:15
Page <  1234>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home