Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : Wi-Max is the future for Cell Phone world
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > Wi-Max is the future for Cell Phone world Bookmark topic
Page <  12345>

Scally_cadet Posts: 361

Wi-Me isnt a threat to 3G. Its a threat to 4G. 3G is now working, Wi-Me havent got any products yet. Remember tho that T-mobile is intrested in have a combined 2G/3G/Wi-Fi network. This message was posted from a Nokia
--
Posted: 2004-05-19 13:36:57
Edit : Quote

shahzadkhan72 Posts: 10

Hi all (esp. W-T),

Don't mean to offend any 3G lover but it is definitely not a GO for Gulf. The only country that has implemented 3G so far is Bahrain, well it is a country smaller than San Francisco.

People, anywhere, don't like to carry laptops with cell phones, at the same time they want the freedom of video conferencing or "work from home". To comply to all these luxury, GSM, CDMA, 800,850, 900, 1800, not even 1900 can't fulfill the requirement.

I remember the days when working for some GSM department; I came to know that they use high level compression besides encryption so that they can transmist the voice data at 13Kb/s (not byte).

There are two things that we need to clearly understand, one is end-user and the other is service provider. For end-users, all they care is about the service but imagine when the service provider has a everything maintained under one GUI and NMS/EMS (Telecom terms), they will definitely go for it. In this manner, they will sell the service cheaper and it will be less with mistakes.

But to be honest, WireLess is the futre. I have my fingers crossed on WiMax. And besides disliking Bill Gate's products, I still believe that his company made me believe that WiMax is surely gonna hit the market very soon.

Pleaes take care and drive safely, remember someone is waiting for you.

Shahzad Khan
Sr. Network Support Engineer
--
Posted: 2004-05-19 23:08:35

Jim Posts: > 500

I think that Sweden, Japan and other countries have allready 3G. Even my country ... !
--
Posted: 2004-05-19 23:15:38

Dear all,

Don't get me wrong that 3G is not a GO for other countries. I was only talking for GULF.

The thing is, we need to consider few facts in 3G; bandwidth, cost per bandwidth, equipment need to maintain the network, support, bigger backbone to carry the traffic and so on.

With WiMax, you can have a NT port on some switch and LT can be your mobile cell phone (smart phone), and this switch can be connected to anyone 1G or 10G switch (Ethernet switches). Cheap 10G switches are available by major Chinesee companies. Build your IP backbone, provide acces switches and voila... you are kicking.

Well, someone can question QoS in IP as compare to ATM. Well true, that there is no QoS (Quality of Service) there BUT... the new IEEE 802.?? (sorry I forgot ) that is RPR... it provides you similar to QoS besides CoS (Class of service).

The essense of all above is; building high speed networks is quite cheap these days. Core network and access switches... thats all... you (as service provider) and end-users both are happy at low cost (two way)

Stay cool
--
Posted: 2004-05-19 23:26:14

Payalnik Posts: 380

Someone mentioned that the capability of wimax access point is limited to 100. And i dont think that will work with the usual battery. It must consume a lot! This message was posted from a R520
--
Posted: 2004-05-19 23:33:46

Hi all,
I am back.
But with a news... good for Wi-Max lover and bad for GSM, 3G lovers.

The first IP Cell phone is out as I forcasted by Fujitsu. Please see the link
http://www.fujitsu.com/news/p[....]es/month/2004/20040623-01.html

Now the other part is IEEE 802.16e is a Wi-Max standard for mobility. It will be soon approved. Then I don't see anything stopping Cell Phone Networks replacement by Wi-Max.

Just for your records, Nokia has rejoined the Wi-Max forum. Well you can guess what does it mean. As Wi-Fi got a defecto standard, Wi-Max is gonna rule the market.

By posting here I am urging Cisco and other major players like Lucent (my x-company) and etc to start focusing on Wi-Max.It is a future. The crazy technology (Wi-Max) can work with Line-of-Sight (LoS) or Non-LoS signal. Of course for Non-LoS there is are limitations. But hey, we (technical guys) all know that there is no such technology that penerates the mountain as some salesmen claim. Its always via reflections.

So, get your gears ready for Wi-Max and be ready to see Cell Phone networks getting replaced by Wi-Max. My forcast is 2008, it can happen sooner or later. Only God knows the best.

Take care
--
Posted: 2004-06-27 23:28:06

TechnologyLover Posts: 1

mr. khan,
i respect ur view but as far we are aware that 802.16e is not approved yet. why did u say wimax can replace cell phone carriers and why not wi-wan (802.20)?
can wimax be used as back-haul?
what is the maximum throughput can we have?
what about the radiation?
do u know if lucent, siemens, cisco are into wimax?

there are so many holes and questions, I dont think if this will fly
--
Posted: 2004-06-29 23:16:51

Sage Posts: 233

EDIT:

Nvm

[ This Message was edited by: Sage on 2004-07-09 04:13 ]
--
Posted: 2004-07-08 15:50:56

Residentevil Posts: > 500

Let's just wait and see, before everybody jumps on the hype bandwagon.
--
Posted: 2004-07-08 15:55:30

deanb Posts: 5

According to Intel, Wi-Max won't even be appearing in laptops until 2006-7.

Given the likely power consumption & integration issues for the chips & software, that probably means 2008 for high-end smartphone/P900-type PDA hybrids with big batteries & form-factor, and 2009-10 for "normal" phones.

In a nutshell: don't hold your breath while waiting.
--
Posted: 2004-07-15 20:29:08
Page <  12345>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home