Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : SE and Microsoft rumor! i doubt it. but maybe
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > SE and Microsoft rumor! i doubt it. but maybe Bookmark topic
Page <  1234>

masseur Posts: > 500

well I am sure this isn't about who has been using what the longest and I thought we were talking specifically about pocketpc/windows mobile. but just for (possible) interest in regards to PDA's, sure I've been using them since the original Psion series 1 and still have it in fact complete with maths and time module. that was the vertical one with a slide off protective hard case and an A-Z keyboard rather than a qwerty one and a dot matrix style LCD display mind you IÄve always been a gadget man and before that had the HP-41C alphanumeric programmable calculator (that they used on the suttle) and before the texas instruments TI-59 in the late 70's which even had a built in magnetic card reader for storing programs!

but we digress... so back to the issue at hand

ah! sure I know about remotely controlling the pc from the pda etc but if I may quote you "Windows Mobile devices can run PC programs" which really did suggest you could run the programs on the windows mobile device itself as there was no mention of "remotely"

anyway I guess that sorts out that little confusion.

btw, and this is off topic but I'm not sure this topic is really going anyay at the moment anyway... you wouldn't be the person who ran a site selling and supporting pda's in queensland and often visited the pc shows etc (like PC expo in Sydney etc)? I'm hopeless at remembering names but just curious

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2005-01-11 10:42 ]
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 11:40:23
Edit : Quote

EastCoastStar Posts: > 500

i have an iPAQ with a processer only at 350MHz, and i can run movies perfectly, and multi task alot. and lever even see the slightest bit of lag. but like @masseur said... i want to see how it is possiable to run PC apps on Windows Mobile. They are programed specially for windows mobile, and use various different formats than lets say XP pro.
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 16:16:26

masseur Posts: > 500

@EastCoastStar, I think we've already determined that CybaCowboy was talking about remotely controlling from the iPAQ, programs running on your pc, not actually running windows programs on the pocketpc

actually you can do it the other way too

take a loo here for some examples of these types of programs
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 16:22:57

Ill check it out as soon as i get home.
its too bad that you cant just load ANY program onto windows mobile, ya know? If you can run it on XP, you can run it on windows mobile... i know its not true... but i still think that would be so awesome... but... windows mobile is another way for mucrosoft to make some money.
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 16:26:49

viper7 Posts: 69

Just to note that you can also remotely control a PC from many a symbian device....this isn't unique to PPC....eg

[ This Message was edited by: viper7 on 2005-01-11 15:35 ]

[ This Message was edited by: viper7 on 2005-01-11 15:37 ]
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 16:34:20

semo Posts: 182

It seems like it's going to be Siemens and not SE.

Reuters
Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Seattle, January 11: Microsoft Corp and Germany's Siemens AG said on Monday they will jointly market and sell technologies that integrate personal computer and telephone services.

The deal between the world's largest software maker and the German conglomerate and electronics manufacturer comes as advancements in telephone systems make it possible for business users to operate and manage telephone calls from their desktops.

Financial terms of the multi-year agreement, a global sales and marketing alliance, were not disclosed.

Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft is making a major push into technology that will maker computers and phones work better together.

--
Posted: 2005-01-11 17:26:09

govigov Posts: > 500

So, it was siemens and not SE. Siemens just got a new lease on life. Thank you for the info. This message was posted from a K500
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 17:31:34

Leks Posts: > 500

Y did they have a z1010 when it don't work in the US
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 18:22:16

u cant have a z1010 in the us?!? theres no way thats true... if you have a simfree z1010, they work on the US bands.
looked in the Mobile Phones area on the main page... and Networks 900/1800... so it should work in the US...

also... 10 years ago... who would have everrr thought of phones and computers working together hah

- I want a k700/i!!

"I talk alot of sh*t because I know alot of sh*t"
check out this cool phoneeee
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/eastcoaststar-newwww.JPG

[ This Message was edited by: eastcoaststar on 2005-01-11 20:21 ]
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 21:15:46

DeLa Posts: > 500

Good for Siemens. They needed some sort of good news. Well it'll have to do with the R&D only I suppose, which wasn't going to go away, so it ain't that much difference.

As long as it leads to an open standard is ok.

As for the MS vs Sytmbian discussion, comparing software-platform combinations can get you going endlessly. There is not really a point. The only competition is in your head.
Besides that it is not necessarily thr "best" technology that runs best in the market. Ans it is not because a company is dominant in the marjet at rates of 95% that it will be in other markets too, let alone that this is a guarantee that it will keep the share. Examples are plenty and Bill Gates knows them all.
Only to say that those predictions coming out of some freaky comparison of technical specifications are based on nothing.

Take me, a daily Microsoft user since DOS 3.0. I am not attracted by having some sort of windows on my phone. I don't want it to look and feel like a computer. Because that is wat the effect is. Windows = computer = hassle, things to do, work, no play. Phone = freedom with fun factor allowed. Why do you think the IPod is so popular and other technically better devices are not?
--
Posted: 2005-01-11 21:32:54
Page <  1234>

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index

Esato home