Esato Mobile
General discussions : Rumours : Wi-Max is the future for Cell Phone world
> New Topic
> Reply
< Esato Forum Index > General discussions > Rumours > Wi-Max is the future for Cell Phone world Bookmark topic
Page <  12345

shyam335 Posts: > 500

maybe its because of that the wimax itself has not matured.
and intel has announced one chip wimax solution called rosedale sometime back,hope itll make things easier.
--
Posted: 2005-05-24 16:01:23
Edit : Quote

Jim Posts: > 500

Maybe ... I hope so
--
Posted: 2005-05-25 16:10:15

danberte Posts: 109

wi-max chip is allready out there. i believe intel passed the specs and price for 1000pcs lot (a bit more expensive than bluetooth chips were when launched) a few weeks ago. standards still under beta stage, in terms of end-user implementing. but it's out there. maybe in your laptop by fall.

i'm well into wi-fi (i operate a free internet wi-fi hotspots network in romania) but already looking into wi-max!

bluetooth wont die, related to some concerns. sure, ericsson gave up supporting and handling of standards and internationalized it. but bluetooth keeps getting better and easier to use. it's the "PAN technology" so it doesnt compete either with wi-fi or wi-max!

bluetooth will be around, as transfer interface from our pdas to stereo headsets, short range seamless conectivity and HIDs.

i.e. cant compare sending a bunch of pictures over BT with WI-FI.. BT makes it so much easier. even with a proper wi-fi set up i prefer pda to laptop comm through BT.

as for long range BT dongles (i have a 30m one) such as 300m, those are just dinosaurs and wont go too far. they made it for 10! it's perfect that way.

expecting wi-max!

[ This Message was edited by: danberte on 2005-05-28 16:35 ]
--
Posted: 2005-05-28 17:34:24

batesie Posts: > 500

after looking at some old threads, its good to see how we are progressing in the world of mobile communication devices....
--
Posted: 2007-07-16 14:36:18

kalleboo Posts: 218

WiMAX has been a major disappointment. They say speeds of up to 34 Mbit and ranges of 30 miles, but they haven't been able to get this AT THE SAME TIME, at that range they're lucky to get even a few megabit.

Also, WiMAX isn't compatible with the mobile operators' infrastructure, as WiMAX comes from the Computer/Ethernet side of things, not the Telecom/ATM side. Plus they've had major issues clearing out the 5 GHz range used by it.

No, the future for telecom is HSOPA and LTE - 100-150 MBit/s per 20 MHz spectrum slot, frequency ranges already owned for 3G uses, great ranges, and an easy upgrade path from UMTS systems. This is where you should be looking.

WiMAX is all hype. How long have they been talking about it, and where are the implementations?!
--
Posted: 2007-07-16 22:18:25

marran Posts: 272

On 2007-07-16 22:18:25, kalleboo wrote:
No, the future for telecom is HSOPA and LTE - 100-150 MBit/s per 20 MHz spectrum slot, frequency ranges already owned for 3G uses, great ranges, and an easy upgrade path from UMTS systems. This is where you should be looking.

I agree with you on every point, just a small question though.
HSOPA? Do you mean HSDPA and HSUPA?
--
Posted: 2007-07-16 23:14:26

kalleboo Posts: 218

HSOPA http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSOPA
--
Posted: 2007-07-23 07:56:27
Page <  12345

New Topic   Reply
Forum Index